Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

jincera1jincera1 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited December 2012 in College Essays
If you could change one thing about your high school career, what would it be?

Men are defined by the leadership they display within their peers. Leading by example is the principal way to influence fellow classmates. One year ago I had the opportunity to run for a leadership position for the student council vice president vacancy. Although I knew this job entailed a serious workload, I thought about the possibility of running for vice president.

I am an individual who works hard, and knows I do not deserve anything unless I work hard for a goal. Academics, sports and community service have developed a certain work force within me during every task I do. Many people have questioned why I never sleep, or why I never take a break. I answer their questions by telling them I am never satisfied with a result and know there is always room for improvement. I effortlessly work towards my goals and make sure there is no "what if" question asked within me.

As student council nominations were right around the corner, I was having an internal debate whether to dedicate myself to the office of vice president the following year, or keep with my routine of playing sports, studying daily and helping out within the community. Running for vice president would require me to quit the varsity tennis team as a requirement of the position. During the nominations I was tangled in the midst of the middle of the varsity tennis season causing me to think less about the nominations and think more about my upcoming matches and practices. Thinking hard about this decision, I would go on to decide tennis was more important than the vice president position the following year.

Looking back, I regret the decision I made and would die to have that opportunity at my hands again. Although tennis is my life, I have played tennis all my life. Being vice president of the school is a once in a lifetime opportunity that might never occur again. I am a person who loves to lead and set examples and missed an opportunity to lead a school wide student body. Although I did not become vice president, I have dedicated myself to help the current vice president with his job. Observing the activities the current vice president coordinates causes me to think back at my decision to turn down the nomination.

Although I am not the vice president of the student council and wish to have another shot at my decision, I am happy being entangled within academics, sports, and community service once again. Vice president was an opportunity of a lifetime and I am not somebody who turns down unique opportunities that will enhance my knowledge and skills.
Post edited by jincera1 on

Replies to: Bentley