Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Help/Critique - Common App 1000 char. extracurricular short answer

mriyainescomriyainesco Posts: 23Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Essays
Whenever I look at what other people are submitting for this section, especially when it's about an instrument or sport, I see a lot of flowery imagery and that's not what I want to go for because that doesn't truly convey my interest or personality. Any feedback helps, thanks so much!

It was clear to me at 8 years old that neither my hands nor mind were designed for a pianist. After attending lessons with this negative outlook for a year, I finally suggested to my instructor that I quit wasting time and effort on my lost cause. Upon hearing this, she had me listen to master pianist Jon Nakamatsu's inspiring "I am a Loser" speech. It amazed me that such a brilliant and successful musician's list of merits in competitions paled in comparison to his ample losses. His hands and mind weren’t made for a pianist to begin with, either, but he persevered, and as a result had achieved his dream. I realized that the piano wasn't just any instrument; it was a tool that would embed patience, determination, and confidence into me. I had a goal to work towards, and a newfound diligence. My goal was not to win awards, but rather to inspire the children who attended my recitals to work toward their own goals, and to this day I still keep this ideal close to me whenever I play.
Post edited by mriyainesco on

Replies to: Help/Critique - Common App 1000 char. extracurricular short answer