Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is my essay topic a bad idea?

scong1scong1 Posts: 21Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Essays
I wanted to talk about how I'm normally a quiet and reserved person, but how it taught me how important it is to reach out to others. I was going to write about my experience with going to a brand new church and not making any friends at one of their camping trips. And it wasn't until the very last day that a group of four people reached out to me and accepted me. I had to hold back my tears because throughout the trip I hadn't eaten for days so that people wouldn't stare at me in the dining hall and I had no roommates (while everyone else had 4-5). Although I had tried my best to be sociable, my attempts were futile since the entire congregation had already been friends since elementary school. So when I returned home, I tried my best to reach out to others who seemed to be in need of a friend.

Is this a bad idea? Even though this event REALLY impacted me, I feel like it might make me seem like someone who isn't outgoing or active. Thoughts? Criticisms?
Post edited by scong1 on

Replies to: Is my essay topic a bad idea?