Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best College Essay prep book?

hiker101hiker101 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited June 2013 in College Essays
I am a soon-to-be high school senior who is looking to get a head start on the college essay process. (The Common App. has already released topics) Since I am the first college bound sibling in my family, I don't have an older brother or sister to ask advice from, and my parents don't know much about the essays these days.

Has anyone used a college essay tips/prep book that has been helpful? I know there are quite a few on the market; does anyone have any advice? If not, then any basic college essay advice would be appreciated. :)
Post edited by hiker101 on

Replies to: Best College Essay prep book?

• Slurpee64Slurpee64 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    I like the one by Alan Gelb. The new edition is coming out any day now and he also has a website.
  • SplashofScienceSplashofScience Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    There are a lot of highly-rated books on Amazon that I would personally never recommend. Many of them fall into two categories -

1) self-promotion. They feature a lot of 'contributors' who wanted to their name out there for resume and personal-business' sake. Everything sounds flashy and nice, but the information only gets you so far.

2) common sense-based. They feature advice that isn't exactly wrong, but doesn't help you write amazing statements either. The key word here is 'amazing.'

One reference in particular that I find effective is Harry Bauld's 'On Writing the College Application Essay'. He is/was a full-time English teacher and has admissions experience, so his advice is much more practical and useful for students at the drafting stage. His examples and commentary are spot-on and up-to-date, unlike a certain Harvard reference.

Alternatively, you can check out my online guide. It'll walk you through the whole process - getting into the right mentality, brainstorming, drafting, revising, etc.

The App Style - A College Application Guide
  • GoldenWestGoldenWest Posts: 336Registered User Member
    I just bought the Bauld book for my daughter and she appears to be reading it, so I am hopeful!
  • SplashofScienceSplashofScience Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    That's great to hear. The book is a breeze to read through from cover to cover and a nice way to get started.