Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Quotes in the essay--Good or Bad?

VHSgrad2014VHSgrad2014 Posts: 183Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2013 in College Essays
Is it frowned upon by college admissions to use a quote in an essay, particularly as an attention getter? I feel that a quote would fit my essay nicely, but I am not sure if this is a huge mistake that breaks some sort of unspoken rule of essay educate, or even if it isn't wrong but will look bad or be "frowned upon."

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help in advance! Definitely need some guidance here.
Post edited by VHSgrad2014 on

Replies to: Quotes in the essay--Good or Bad?

• VHSgrad2014VHSgrad2014 Posts: 183Registered User Junior Member
    Also, if it is allowed, any ideas on the proper formatting of this?

On another note-- does anyone know about the use of statistics in an essay? Is this good or bad or neither?
    Please, someone help!
  • typeakidtypeakid Posts: 377Registered User Member
    I'm sure having a quote won't necessarily lower the essay's worth from an admission standpoint, but it is often very difficult to incorporate it intricately into your writing. I personally sigh whenever I see one because the rest of the paper is usually mediocre, but there are a precious few exceptions. Basically just make sure you confirm it doesn't make your essay stale and you properly credit it.
    @typeakid: Thank you for the feedback! So you get these same feelings from statistics used in an essay?
  • ADadADad Posts: 4,920Registered User Senior Member
    The essay allows you to find and use your own words, not to find and use someone else's words.

A personal essay is supposed to reveal you, not argue a point. Therefore, when considering the possible use of statistics, ask yourself: How exactly does this statistic reveal something significant about me?
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 11,440Registered User Senior Member
    Agree. Remember it's not like a hs thesis statement assignment, where you take a stand and defend. If you are just casually noting a stat, fine. But make certain you understand what the essays are meant to show.