Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

2013 Common App Essay Questions...

iwanttogetinUSCiwanttogetinUSC Posts: 10Registered User New Member
edited August 2013 in College Essays
Hi, I've just read the essay questions for this years common app, and decided to choose: "Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?" as my essay to write. I'm thinking about writing, how I used to be Anorexic and how I've changed. Is this a good choice of topic? Please give me some ideas, I would really appreciate your help! Thank you! :)
Post edited by iwanttogetinUSC on

Replies to: 2013 Common App Essay Questions...

• halcyonheatherhalcyonheather Posts: 7,611Registered User Senior Member
    Anorexia is a mental illness, not a personal failure.
  • neontissuesneontissues Posts: 271Registered User Junior Member
    This might be better for the personal background prompt. I would definitely NOT consider anorexia to be a "personal failure" and advise against writing it as such.
  • iwanttogetinUSCiwanttogetinUSC Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Yes, I agree that Anorexia is a mental illness. But I’m trying to focus on the “cause” of me being Anorexic and how I was able to pull through this personal crisis. The primary cause of my illness was my Perfectionism and stubbornness of thinking that I could make all the impossible, possible. And before, I thought making everything perfect was the route to happiness, while actually being grateful for what I already have and cherishing all the little things in life was the correct path. It’s not that I don’t want to strive for being better, it’s that now I know how not to overdo it.
    Do you still think it’s inappropriate for me to have Anorexia as the main idea of my essay?
    Please speak anything you wish to, I would love to make my essay better :)
    Thank you so so much :)
  • gmaijoegmaijoe Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    No...,.......
  • iwanttogetinUSCiwanttogetinUSC Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Thank you guys, I've decided to choose a whole new essay topic :p