Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Writing a college application essay from a point of view other than my own?

leahessleahess Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
I have type 1 diabetes and I have been writing an essay from the point of view of my pancreas. So basically my struggle with the disease is seen from the "eyes" of my pancreas. Is this a bad idea??

Replies to: Writing a college application essay from a point of view other than my own?

• MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 2,642 Senior Member
    Almost any essay topic is good if you can write about it very, very well. You must write clearly, concisely, and without cliches or foul language. The reason some essays are bad is not because the topic is bad, but because the writing is bad. Write well and you will be fine.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 4,116 Senior Member
    Just be careful.

Please make sure it doesn't become a biology lesson. The point behind the essay is for you to sell your application to the reader... to make him or her want to have you on their campus. It's not to educate, and it's not to gain sympathy. (Though my husband has Type 2, and you DO have my sympathy.)

• AboutTheSameAboutTheSame Registered User Posts: 2,498 Senior Member
    I could see this being an interesting way to approach a personal statement [not sure what other essay would work from that point of view, but there is a topic this year]. Dear Diary, my human couldn't do X today because ... or maybe riff on the Magic School Bus ... or, I'm sure you can come up with something better than that. It's worth a draft.