Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how do you start an autobiography essay?

-Lurker--Lurker- Posts: 1,420Registered User Senior Member
edited December 2006 in College Essays
essay topic ...
brief autobiographical sketch (150-200 words) including person background aspirations

do you start with i was born in blah

or should i start with a major event in my life ... etc
Post edited by -Lurker- on

Replies to: how do you start an autobiography essay?

• dearsiryesdearsiryes Posts: 859Registered User Member
    Make it compelling yet fit the prompt. One possibility:

I was born in the dangerous streets of Paris in a summer about 17 years ago...
    etc
  • Aspen DAspen D Posts: 1,485Registered User Senior Member
    Very nice dearsiryes...I agree.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
    I think it's best to get the reader's attention by starting at a compelling point of your life. The "I was born...." is really boring.

I have had to read a lot of autobiographical essays of people who applied for internships and scholarships, and the essays that stand out begin with flair by NOT saying anything like "Let me introduce myself," or "My name is" or "I was born...."
  • dearsiryesdearsiryes Posts: 859Registered User Member
    Northstarmom, definitely has a point. Something to consider would also be choosing to begin your autobiography at the point where YOU felt YOUR life began. Basically, rather than entertain the presumption that life begins at conception or when you are delivered, why not discuss your life from when it began-in your mind.