Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

tips for USC essays

mrasianboiemrasianboie Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2009 in College Essays
hey you guys..this is my first post..
BTW i am kinda stuck on my USC essay and i was wonderin if any of u guys had any tips on which essay is better to write on and anythin that they like to see on the essay

heres the prompts
The 18th century French philosopher Denis Diderot said, “Only passions, great passions can elevate the soul to great things.” Describe one of your passions and reflect on how it has contributed to your personal growth.

Thomas Edison failed many times before successfully inventing the modern electric light bulb. He said, "If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward." Reflect on an accomplishment you achieved in an unlikely way.

Newton’s First Law of Motion states that an object in motion tends to stay in motion in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force. Tell us about an external influence (a person, an event, etc.) that affected you and how it caused you to change direction.

thanks a lot for helping i really appreciate it
Post edited by mrasianboie on

Replies to: tips for USC essays

• rodneyrodney Posts: 9,406Registered User Senior Member
    What is your passion???? #1 is probably the easiest....Did you complete a personal statement from common app? You can probably get ideas from that as well....
  • mrasianboiemrasianboie Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    not yet.. but thanks a lot for the advice =)
    i was thinking about writin about passion but i heard from some poeple that USC really likes people that associates themselve with the community..
    im not sure...i just heard about it
    anymore tips on USC essays ?
  • haydenhayden Posts: 3,366Registered User Senior Member
    First, DON'T write about something because you heard USC likes associating with the community.

Think of something you care about, something / someone / some activity which you truly care about or which was important to you. Not necessarily something that was objectively important (i.e., death/sickeness in the family) but something that was meaningful to you, such that you could write with sincerity and authenticity. Something that if your family or friends read it, they would smile and say, "that's mr asian alright".

Once you have chosen your topic, then align it to their essay prompts. My D (who loves USC, by the way!) wrote about some stray thoughts that occurred to her while riding her bicycle. So it doesn't have to be something grandiose, just something that stamps your personality on your essay. Good luck to you!
    thanks a lot for the advice...
    this REALLY clears a lot up...
    Do the readers at the USC board like essays that are on harder topics or essays that have better content ?
  • Sheed30Sheed30 Posts: 12,425Registered User Senior Member
    please keep the tips coming :D
  • haydenhayden Posts: 3,366Registered User Senior Member
    mrasian - better content. I cannot prove that, but I think it's a reasonable guess. Would you prefer to read a book on a hard topic, or one with good content? I imagine the readers of the essays feel the same way.

On admitted student's day (or one of them) they read excerpts from the short answers from the applications, and they were hilarious. So I got the impression these people had a good sense of humor as well as an appreciation for the serious side of the impact their choices have on the school, and on each applicant.
    another question...if you add like an idiom from your language would it make your essay seem better or would it just be the same ?
  • scorpio08scorpio08 Posts: 777Registered User Member
    guess depends on how you use it.
  • vectorvector Posts: 333Registered User Member
    do the third one it is kind of like commonapp
    You think I can just use my common app essay for USC? I need to send it in today.
  • Lori1122Lori1122 Posts: 1,090Registered User Member
    whats with all the USC threads.. is it really that popular?
    lol, yea, and also because the application for scholarship consideration is due today :D
    yup it is...everyone is franktic...hopefully people didnt wait til last minute too cuz the sites gonna lag up