Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How did you first learn about _____?

andreaaaaaaandreaaaaaa Posts: 7,930Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2008 in College Essays
What is the point of these short essays? I have three of them to do, and I am not really sure what to write about. The true answer is basically from college mail and from looking at usnews rankings. Is that what I should put? I don't really understand what they are looking for.
Please share with us how you first learned about Grinnell. (500 chars)
How did you first learn about Lewis & Clark? (500 chars)
How did you first learn about Macalester? (255 chars)
Post edited by andreaaaaaa on

Replies to: How did you first learn about _____?

• maeamaea Posts: 726Registered User Member
    They probably just want to assess their advertising strategies. That's just a guess though.
  • woohoo!!!!!!woohoo!!!!!! Posts: 309Registered User Junior Member
    i wouldnt mention rankings. LACs usually dont like them, at all. i had to do a bunch of these too, and i pulled out Fiske and found a phrase i liked and said that i first learned about it from fiske, and that the
    made me attracted to the college.
  • shreya.iitkshreya.iitk Posts: 1,052Registered User Senior Member
    i just write whatever is true - even if it comes in a line like - my father told me about the college.
    a question- are you unable to submit a supplement after like 12.oo midnight?
    or can you still do it a few hours later..
  • andreaaaaaaandreaaaaaa Posts: 7,930Registered User Senior Member
    so, i should just be honest and write "college mail" and not try to write something more interesting?
  • woohoo!!!!!!woohoo!!!!!! Posts: 309Registered User Junior Member
    write a sentence at least. i think that every question that they ask is a chance to show them something about who you are and why their school is a good fit for you.