Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Whats the average length of a good essay?

tkd2009tkd2009 Posts: 241Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2008 in College Essays
I was wondering, because the common app says minimum 250 words.
I just wrote out my introduction paragraph, which was one of those descriptive / narrative types.
I already clock in at 186 words.

Ideas?
Post edited by tkd2009 on

Replies to: Whats the average length of a good essay?

• stempsstemps Posts: 153Registered User Junior Member
    Mine's nearly 800.

I guess there used to be a limit to 500 words, so most would advise that you shouldn't exceed 500 by too much. In most cases, a brilliant 600 word essay is much better than a dull 500 word essay, but try your best to keep your word count under control.
  • RainmakerRainmaker Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
    Usually around 500. If you're writing a narrative try to avoid superfluous information and be succinct- Definitely the thing I'm having trouble with on my essay.
  • tkd2009tkd2009 Posts: 241Registered User Junior Member
    I think I could fit everything in 800 words.
    500 words? definately not.
    600? a challenge.
    700? possible.
  • olgitaolgita Posts: 505Registered User Member
    The general guideline is 500-700 words, I believe. The best essays I've read have always been in the range. If you're going over, you're probably being wordy.
  • whedongirl09whedongirl09 Posts: 151Registered User Junior Member
    I'm having a lot of problems keeping my essay short, right now the current product is clocking in at 1,200 words (gah!). I'll need to trim it so more, so I guess 800 words would be a good goal.