Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Would you please explain to me what the UC Personal Statement prompt 1 means?!

twilight_girl09twilight_girl09 Posts: 422Registered User Member
edited November 2008 in College Essays
The prompt is describe the world you come from and how did that world shaped your dreams & aspirations( I know it isn't the exact words..). I am having a hard time describing my "world." I rewrote my personal statement and I am writing on how the struggles that my parents went through motivates me to go to college. I was planning to write about the obstacles that I faced which is learning English(Chinese was my first language), how I was abused in China, and some other obstacles. Do you think I can write an adequate essay by using these obstacles?? My world would be my family. I know there are a lot of people that writes about like death of a family member, how being a chinese immigrant affected you, parent's divorce, stuff like that. However, I don't think those are describing one's world. Those are just obstacles one faces in their lives. What does it mean by "world"? Is it more of a general world or like what specifically happens in the world? Sorry if none of this is making sense..I can't explain it from my thoughts.
Thanks!
Post edited by twilight_girl09 on

Replies to: Would you please explain to me what the UC Personal Statement prompt 1 means?!

• birdhousebirdhouse Posts: 633Registered User Member
    It's asking about the "world" you live in. Community, family, or school. Everyone has a different view on their community family, or school. I don't think they're asking about the world in general, but about the specific place and community you live in, what you do there, and how you feel about it/them.

You could use those "obstacles" but tell the readers HOW they affected your personality, goals, etc.
  • nooobnooob Posts: 2,065Registered User Senior Member
    World can literally mean anything. Your family, school, community, bedroom, car, a person, a pet, a hobby...ANYTHING! Describe a "world" that is important to you and how it's affected your dreams, what you want to become!