Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

how to answer "why do you want to go to this school"

justwaiting3justwaiting3 Posts: 20Registered User New Member
edited November 2008 in College Essays
am i not suppose to be vague?
Post edited by justwaiting3 on

Replies to: how to answer "why do you want to go to this school"

• pewwwppewwwp Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    No. zero into something specific you like about the school/location/majors offered etc
  • leolibbyleolibby Posts: 702- Member
    Anything you mention, then, should be unique.

The way I would do it is to build up to where I mention my educational goal--and have that as a thesis. "I had known since early childhood. Oh how sublime it was--how obvious. I watched my mother peel a potato in the old breakfast nook of our cononial home in Westchester. A potato. The embodiment of agriculture,the foundation of civilization. I was to be a farmer--a potato farmer.

Then I would work in how I went about choosing and narrowing-down the prospective list of schools. For example, "I have Idaho in my blood; I have always fantasized about going there. Thinking about Idaho makes me shiver--the kind of warm shiver one experiences when hearing his favorite song over he radio. The American heartland of potatoism--a potato Mecca. Choosing to attend a college anywhere else was simply not an option.

Then go on to talk about what your college offers that others don't: "Study abroad in Ireland. The motherland. The old country. I knew--that moment--I knew that the University of Idaho was my destiny. In the days and weeks that followed, the University of Idaho had merged into my own sence of identity. I watched to virtual tours online hour after hour, memorizing every feature of the landscape, every hall. Every waking thought...."

Hope I helped.
  • leolibbyleolibby Posts: 702- Member
    Did I mention that the breakfast nook in the old colonial home in Westchester has a draft?
  • justwaiting3justwaiting3 Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    thanks. i like it. i'm sure your colleges will be impressed