Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

conventional vs. non-conventional lifestyle, dancing or other topics?

lalalalalaalalalalalaa Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited August 2009 in College Essays
I'm contemplating tentative essay topics right now and wanted some input from the CC community. The topic options are as follows...

1. conventional vs. non-conventional lifestyle

I've given a lot of thought about what I want to do with my life lately, and I'm always conflicted between living the conventional family life and doing something that isn't the norm. I recently saw some family from out of town for the first time in 5 years. All my cousins are older, all live conventional lives. The time we spent was really enjoyable and made me really emotional. Seeing their situation in life convinces me that I want a conventional life and that it would make me happy. On the other hand, when I read the newspaper and volunteer and work for charity organizations for rural villages/ hear about the situation in my parent's home country (my parents were both from pretty poor rural areas) it makes me feel inspired to go out there and do something. At that point I want to travel, work with the peace corps, etc. and "make a difference" as cliche as that sounds. I was thinking about writing about my life experiences that make both options appeal to me, and then leaving it up in the air at the end and conclude with a "we'll see where I go from here" statement.

2. Perfectionism

I'm a serious perfectionist, and there are times when I'm really glad, because some of the major successes I've had wouldn't have been possible with my somewhat "neurotic" tendencies, but its not always a good thing. I have anecdotes about the ups and downs of the perfectionism, etc. So I could always right about that, but I don't know if it would come across as too much of a flaw. I know peopel right essays about something you'd think was a flaw and turn it into something positive, but I don't know if I'd be able to do that.

3. Dancing

Dancing is a huge part of my life; I do it everyday; I've learned a lot from it and a lot of my good friendships come from dance. I wanted to talk about what draws me to dancing: the music, how the grace of the movements can turn something mundane like picking up a pot or putting on earrings into a beautiful movement. I have some anecdotes I could pull from my memory, I'm sure, and I could talk about some kind of funny stuff where I've found myself doing mundane tasks in the "dance" way. Or I could talk about how I'm become known as the dancer in my family, in my circle of friends, to my parent's friends, and things like that. I also plan on including an arts supplement, so this would reinforce my dedication and passion for dance.

So let me know what you think, or if the topics I've put up make you think of some sort of spin I could put on them please tell me. Thanks everyone :)
Post edited by lalalalalaa on

Replies to: conventional vs. non-conventional lifestyle, dancing or other topics?