Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Failed first test

meagan44meagan44 Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2010 in College Life
I am a freshman at a small LAC and had my first test in Neuroscience 101. I studied for about 25 hours, however, I failed the test. Is this normal? Do a lot of freshman, or college students in general, fail tests?
Post edited by meagan44 on

Replies to: Failed first test

• easilyjadedeasilyjaded Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    When you say "failed", what do you mean? A 60? Lower? Is the teacher grading on a curve? Did he show the class average?

When you said "studied for 25 hours", what do you mean by that? Did you study efficiently? Did you just pretty much stare at the textbook? What were your study methods?
  • XX55XXXX55XX Posts: 1,014Registered User Member
    Staring at a textbook for 25 hours doesn't constitute studying.

Sometimes, depending on the course, staring at a textbook helps a lot. In other cases, not so much...
  • meagan44meagan44 Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    I didn't "stare at a textbook" for 25 hours. I made a study guide, said the stuff out loud, things like that. I guess I don't know how to effectively study though
  • DnationDnation Posts: 327Registered User Member
    I never failed a test... ok, maybe that one time, but that was because I stared at the tasteful illustrations of the textbook for 25 hours.
  • rymdrymd Posts: 1,055- Member
    I failed my honors physics midterm today.
    there's no need for sarcastic comments
  • poetgrlpoetgrl Posts: 12,455Registered User Senior Member
    First, don't get too upset, because that really won't help. Do you know for sure that you "failed," or did you just get a poor score. Sometimes the curve in science classes will be different than what you are used to from high school. So, you'll need to find that out.

Then, you need to go to office hours and talk to your professor and see what this means for you in terms of the class. What you missed, what you need to focus on. Bring your study material so you can show it to the prof, who may be able to point out to you where you aren't focusing.....

In the future, just so you know, you should be going to office hours at the start of a class to get to know the prof and to find out if you are focusing on the right material before you take the first test. Study groups can be helpful, too, because people tend to study what they already know, for some reason, maybe because it is what interests them, and to miss other things. Other students will have other interests and strengths.

Just remember, it'll be all right. No matter what, you can figure it out, even if you have to drop the class, it's not that big of a deal in college.
    To be honest, I don't know how much of a help the professor will be. This is his first year teaching and he just got out of grad. school. I should've switched sections but wasn't sure if I should just stick it out. He answers questions with ummmmmm....we will discuss that later. I am not blaming my poor success on the test on him, but simply saying that going to office hours may not be all that helpful.
  • Yakyu SpiritsYakyu Spirits Posts: 826Registered User Member
    Your high school must've not prepared you for the college workload
  • MushaboomBlueMushaboomBlue Posts: 1,715Registered User Senior Member
    @ OP: Going to his office hours can help. You might be able to go over the test with him and see what you did wrong. He can help clarify things for you. Also, it shows that you care about your grade. And when teachers see this, sometimes they are willing to cooperate more if they see that you are trying and are concerned about doing well in their class.

And if worse comes to worst, withdraw from the class -- unless it pertains to your major.
  • mathsciencedudemathsciencedude Posts: 1,802Registered User Member
    Also, if your college has tutoring, try going to that, and get recommendations as to how to effectively study.
    My high school is irrelevant, because I'm in college now, and worked very hard to get here, and am continuing to work hard. Also, I will go to office hours and see how that goes. Thanks for the help. Anyone have any suggestions on how to study in a science class like this?
  • PandoraHeartsPandoraHearts Posts: 435Registered User Member
    Find someone who didn't fail and form a study group
  • BrandoIsCoolBrandoIsCool Posts: 799Registered User Member
    Try this: google "cal newport study hacks"

The site has loads of very helpful advice regarding studying. Remember that its Quality >> Quantity
  • ISUClubISUClub Posts: 790Registered User Member
    I skimmed some of the books by Cal Newport. To sum up his entire writing career into 1 sentence: "Studying for 1 hour with focus and without distraction >>>> studying for 10 hours without focus and with distractions."

I spend a lot of time at the library. Sometimes, it's packed and noisy. Some people go to the library to talk and screw around on their laptops. It's sad.

I guess you're not one of those people. Try practice tests. Go over examples. Don't just look at your notes and read the book. Going over examples prepares you for the problems you will do. Reading the textbook over and over is completely useless, it lets you understand the concepts, but it doesn't give your practice for the applications.