Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is the best North Face backpack?

OoovooOOoovooO Posts: 420Registered User Member
edited April 2011 in College Life
I need a new backpack for college, and as I've used cheap Jansport backpacks my entire life, I decided to treat myself and try out a more expensive North Face backpack as I've heard they were reliable and last long. But there are so many different models of NF backpacks, and I don't know what makes them different from one another. Does anyone who's used multiples of them have a preference for one or know which one is the best for school use?
Post edited by OoovooO on

Replies to: What is the best North Face backpack?

• DnationDnation Posts: 327Registered User Member
    Yup, they definitely last long, and are worth the money.
  • kollegekid1kollegekid1 Posts: 902Registered User Member
    I would get the Blackhawk tactical patrol pack or something really heavy duty.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 21,832Registered User Senior Member
    I'm surprised you've had issues with Jansport. I've had mine for a few years now and I used it to backpack through Central America without a problem. Plus, they have a lifetime warranty.

What were specific problems you had/what do you want in a backpack? As you said, there are many different types and they will appeal to many different people.
  • rymdrymd Posts: 1,055- Member
    the most expensive one of course
  • OoovooOOoovooO Posts: 420Registered User Member
    Damn these are the most worthless and useless answers I've ever gotten...sigh...
  • DCHurricaneDCHurricane Posts: 2,976- Senior Member
    I've got a North Face Recon. It's definitely durable, although I did have some issues with water seepage the few times it rained really hard last semester. It's got enough space in the main compartment for, say, a laptop and a binder, notebook or two and some folders. I could put 1 or 2 books in there as well, although it'd get a little cramped to say the least.

If they have waterproof ones (and if it rains a lot where you go to school), get them. You never think you need that until your notes get wet...
  • shogunzekshogunzek Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
    I have the NF Surge. It's pretty sweet, the laptop compartment fits my 17" laptop and I can throw a lot of stuff in it, and it feels really comfy on my back, the only thing is there's tons of unnecessary straps hanging from it. I gotta get around to cutting some of them off.
  • Johnson181Johnson181 Posts: 4,111Registered User Senior Member
    You've had issues with JanSports? Weird. Mine is going on 8+ years now, doing just fine.
  • walee112walee112 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    i agree with the recon (for guys) isabella for gals. Bought mine freshman year (of Highschool) and it's still running strong! (senior in college) I use it every single day and it still looks new.
  • David123David123 Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    I would agree with the surge, especially if you are going to be carrying around a laptop.
  • SunslothSunsloth Posts: 217Registered User Junior Member
    "Damn these are the most worthless and useless answers I've ever gotten...sigh..."

Worthless *and* useless? I think that's called hendiadys. :D
  • rymdrymd Posts: 1,055- Member
    Old thread, but **** northface. as long as you take good care of your backpack, any will work. I used my lowly cheap eastsport backpack for 12 years (from 1st grade to hs graduation)
  • CopamanCopaman Posts: 168Registered User Junior Member
    Eddie Bauer Trailblazer is where it's at.
  • DnationDnation Posts: 327Registered User Member
    Optimus is the best. I give you my word on that.
  • CaillebotteCaillebotte Posts: 1,546Registered User Senior Member
    Northface Bandwidth. Coolest backpack. No argument possible.