Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Should I get a tablet?

toxic93toxic93 Posts: 2,684Registered User Senior Member
edited April 2011 in College Life
I'm going to college this fall, and I have a high-end 15" Sony Vaio I bought a while back, it's thin, but not lightweight and has a short battery life. I was thinking about getting this tablet (No its not an iPad), the HTC Flyer, which is perfect for school work. I'm just thinking about getting it later, so the price can go down a bit. Here's the HTC Flyer HTC - Products - HTC Flyer - Overview. It has a notetaker, with a stylus. The notebook can take notes, record what the speaker is saying, and you can write on the notebook with the pen. If you want to go back to what the person was saying when you wrote down that note just click it and it will play. That is something I find cool. I have good faith with HTC because they make quality products, and the tablet looks great for work and play. Now, is it a good idea to get this tablet when its cheaper, or stick with my laptop?

And if you wondering about my computer its this
Sony VAIO NW Series VGN-NW350F/S - Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz - 15.5? - 4 GB Ram - 320 GB HDD
Post edited by toxic93 on

Replies to: Should I get a tablet?

• rhythmgamingrhythmgaming Posts: 650Registered User Member
    Asus has the EEE pad transformer coming pretty soon, which may be something to consider.
  • toxic93toxic93 Posts: 2,684Registered User Senior Member
    I know about that one. But I liked this one a bit more, the keyboard is a great plus for the Asus.
  • rymdrymd Posts: 1,055- Member
    think about what you just asked...

also, what's wrong with good ol' paper and pencil?
  • DrewCollinsDrewCollins Posts: 635Registered User Member
    Really it is a personal preference, some people like laptops more then tablets and some people are the opposite. A tablet is good if you write faster then you can type and every computer/tablet with a mic has some kind of sound recording program on it. But yeah if you can write faster then you can type then go for the tablet
  • Mathemagician1Mathemagician1 Posts: 279Registered User Junior Member
    ASUS transformer. Way better. You can buy a stylus and download an app to take notes in. Plus, 8 hours of battery life, 16 with the dock, isn't too bad at all.
    The Asus is still on my radar, but they are too high priced for me. Which is why, I'll wait till they come down in price. Buying second hand is out of the picture.

And I write slower with pen and pencil than when I type.
  • rhythmgamingrhythmgaming Posts: 650Registered User Member
    What? The EEE pad transformer is $550 w/ keyboard+battery attachment, $400 w/o.
    ^Yea, but I won't get it now, because I don't need it. Later in the year the price will drop, then I will want it. Why pay $550 now when the price will drop later?
  • dantheman91dantheman91 Posts: 236Registered User Junior Member
    I have the iPad 2. I love it, but it can't replace my laptop (yet). I still need to use my laptop for writing papers/videos/any resource intensive program.

However, the ipad excels when it comes to just casual web browsing/internet/watching videos/email/viewing documents/light document editing. I love just being able to lounge around anywhere with my ipad because its so light and more portable than my macbook pro. Plus the battery life is unbeatable.
    If I wanted, i could use the stylus i bought for it on a variety of great notetaking apps, but right now i just prefer pencil and paper.

I'd imagine other tablets provide similar functionality but i don't know about them specifically.
  • zchryevnszchryevns Posts: 1,022- Senior Member
    Why pay $550 now when the price will drop later?
    Why pay anywhere near that price when a notebook and pencil is <1/100 of that price?
    Some people right really slow with pen and pencil.
  • b@r!umb@r!um Posts: 9,413Registered User Senior Member
    ^ Writing with a stylus on a computer screen is generally slower and less legible than writing on paper.
    The notebook can take notes, record what the speaker is saying, and you can write on the notebook with the pen. If you want to go back to what the person was saying when you wrote down that note just click it and it will play. That is something I find cool.
    livescribe pens can do the same and retail for $100.
    ^I heard of those before. Are they good?

Or should I just stay with my laptop?
  • buriedalieburiedalie Posts: 855Registered User Member
    This might sound a bit dramatic but my Livescribe pen saved my life. This weekend, I managed to lose my whole notebook for the one class in which I have a cumulative final, but since I've recorded the lectures and uploaded my notes to the computer I can still access them. 100 dollars is quite a bit to dish out for a pen and I was skeptical when I got mine for a graduation present, but it's definitely very useful.
    Thanks that's good to know. Me being a bit paranoid, I save my notes on Evernote, my flash drive, and google documents.