Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I graduated from college 5 years ago and right now I'm wasting my life doing nothing.

RotterdamRotterdam Posts: 15Registered User New Member
edited June 2011 in College Life
I would have liked to go to graduate school but quite frankly I was so depressed by the time I graduated from college that I saw absolutely no point in going to grad school. Getting a job and pay off my student loans seemed like a much better alternative. Besides, if I couldn't even pass a job interview how in the world was I going to pass a graduate school interview? Not to mention that there is the issue of the GRE, which, because I am verbally stupid, I simply do not have the capacity to do well at. The verbal section is not like the math section where you do 500 sample problems until they become second nature to you. The verbal section is something that either you do well at or you don't. I am not talking about memorizing a list of 5000 words. I'm talking about being able to read passages, commit the information to memory, process it, and answer questions about those passages. I suck at those tasks. So as I was saying, graduate school just didn't seem like a good choice at the time. I wanted to be debt free, save some money for a rainy day, and try to find a fulfilling job. And did I mention the thesis? I'm not a genius, what am I going to write a thesis about? There might be second rate programs where a thesis is not necessary, but who is going to take that graduate degree seriously? Grad school is a pyramid scheme. Only the few people at the top make it. The 90% at the bottom of the pyramid signed up for a failed investment. So now I'm almost 30, unemployed, barely searching for a job since the more I search and don't hear from anyone the more depressed I feel, I'm working with a psychiatrist who is giving me meds that supposedly will help me concentrate but that after 2 months haven't done anything, I feel inferior to just about anyone with either a fulfilling job or a graduate degree, I don't have a wife/girlfriend, I don't even have friends. So the interesting part is that when I was in high school I was this role-model student. I overcame socioeconomic adversity and still managed to make As. I wonder what my former classmates and teachers would think if they saw how I ended up. Anyway, just wanted to say that I wish you all good luck. Pray you don't end up like I did. I'm not a bad person. I really am not. I was a good student, I never wronged anyone, but it just so happens that my brain was a bit of out-of-sync and for that reason I wasn't able to give society what it wanted.
Post edited by Rotterdam on

Replies to: I graduated from college 5 years ago and right now I'm wasting my life doing nothing.

• enfieldacademyenfieldacademy Posts: 2,321- Member
    what would you have gone to graduate school for?
  • RotterdamRotterdam Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    Hopefully some subject that I can tolerate and that's going to help me find a decent paying job. (At 30 you don't really want to be earning the type of salary you could earn with only a community college degree.)
  • ImagirlImagirl Posts: 71Registered User Junior Member
    Hmm. Do you think volunteering for the Peace Corps or something of that sort would be a good idea? That way you are not merely "wasting" your time and actually maybe get to help a couple of people. I hear it's a real good thing to have on a resume too. You get lots of experience. I don't know, just a suggestion ;P
  • RotterdamRotterdam Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    "Hmm. Do you think volunteering for the Peace Corps or something of that sort would be a good idea? That way you are not merely "wasting" your time and actually maybe get to help a couple of people. I hear it's a real good thing to have on a resume too. You get lots of experience. I don't know, just a suggestion ;P "

Not a bad idea at all. What's the typical time commitment? 1/2 year? 1 year?
  • ImagirlImagirl Posts: 71Registered User Junior Member
    Commitment is actually two years.
  • Axion004Axion004 Posts: 179Registered User Junior Member
    Why are you playing the "my score isn't high enough" sort of game? Writing a thesis has absolutely nothing to with what your score was on the Verbal GRE. Neither does a graduate program that is more quantitative based as opposed to English based. In fact, what you study may not even remotely relate to the GRE at all. I scored < 400 on the Verbal GRE and > 750 on the Quantitative GRE and I know I have a perfectly GOOD chance of getting admission. The admission process is not ONLY about your Verbal GRE score. Almost every single program I have talked with has told me they take a holistic approach to accepting applicants. Now if you wanted to go into a PhD program then this is a completely different story(In this program you are expected to write papers in books and journals for a living). So please stop complaining and do a little more research. Sitting around being unemployed is not being productive.
  • sewlovelysewlovely Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    Another recommendation for the peace corps! Keep your head up!
  • StraightsJacketStraightsJacket Posts: 423Registered User Member
    I put you at 26/27 years old?

Still young enough to join in military service, a quick 4 years to get your life together. Grab the G.I. Bill, go to college again. Or stay in, assuming you have a graduate degree commision in as an officer.