1. the only requirements to being in the sorority is that you are a ucla student, and are continuing at ucla for at least two consecutive years (pledge year, and one year after).
2. you join by attending rush events during zero week. events are typically on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, with all rides and food provided. does not cost a penny! (in comparison to NPC sororities)
3. benefits include sisterhood, test files, community awareness and service, networking with alumni & other frats/sororities from social, scholarships, life lasting relationships, and fewer dues, and less dues than NPC, etc.
4. cons: pledge period might be busier than normal, but as a first year, you will want to have these experiences to create relationships from all around social, two quarter pledge period.
5. time/money consuming? yes, it is, but it is worth it in the end. however, it will not be consuming to the point as you will not be able to complete schoolwork. their view is that SCHOOL COMES FIRST.