Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Off-campus students: how much do you spend on groceries per month?

RioBravoRioBravo Posts: 851- Member
edited July 2011 in College Life
Turns out I'm living off-campus, how much do you usually spend on groceries per month? I'm just trying to get a ballpark estimate. I'm a man of relatively simple tastes, probably the most expensive thing I buy is Kashi cereal.
Post edited by RioBravo on

Replies to: Off-campus students: how much do you spend on groceries per month?

• October47October47 Posts: 1,021Registered User Member
    Probably $100 a month. The most expensive shopping trips are always at the beginning of the semester when you don't have anything.

Make sure you include eating out and getting food at school in your food budget. You might not always want to bring a lunch or go home during breaks.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,601Registered User Senior Member
    I spend about $60 a month, but I don't eat meat which cuts down costs considerably. I also shop at discount grocery stores which helps. Eating a lot of pasta is another huge money saver.
  • StraightsJacketStraightsJacket Posts: 423Registered User Member
    140$
    I eat a fairly well balanced diet.
    No processed meats (no meat squeezed into a shape from a tube)
    I shop for "Great Value" stuff mostly. (Cereal/Canned goods)
    I buy a lot of rice. (Not asian but if they can live 100+ years off the stuff so can I!)
    Only eat whole grain breads/pasta.
    I shop for fresh veggies/fruit every few days. (I don't like that pre-bagged salad crap)
    I shop for meat once every week. (Less time frozen in the fridge, fresh!, no freezer burn)
    I cook all my meals. (excluding eating out)
    I save and actually eat leftover meals.

Takes discipline to eat this way, taking the time to prepare a meal can be a pain in the arse, especially on long work days. But as compared to when I lived in the Barracks(Meaning no BAS) I was spending 250$ a month eating out, reducing that by 100$ = nice bit of cash in my pocket every month.
  • uwrobiuwrobi Posts: 144Registered User Junior Member
    I don't live off campus, but I've been buying my own groceries for a couple years now. I spend about $100/ month. Mostly on vegetables (bagged spinach, carrots, tofu), fruit, and staples to make cheap meals. Usually I buy a lot of oats (super cheap breakfast), refried beans, cheese, and tortillas (makes a pretty good quesadilla), and rice and beans. It's pretty easy to live cheaply and healthy.
  • SunslothSunsloth Posts: 217Registered User Junior Member
    $200 a month. I'm... bad with food money. I'll happily shell out for lunch at Starbucks, etc.
    And I'm not adverse to eating out.
    I don't buy loads, but I don't buy very wisely.

Overall I handle my money ok, just an unnecessary percentage goes on food.
  • DJpsu2015DJpsu2015 Posts: 811Registered User Member
    I haven't started school yet, but my sister lives off campus at her college. She spends about $100-140 for food.
  • RioBravoRioBravo Posts: 851- Member
    No BAS in the barracks? Ouch, especially if you're not in the AF :p

So it seems like 100-150 seems standard. Thanks all.

Sent from my PC36100 using CC App
  • VihzelVihzel Posts: 450Registered User Member
    I actually spent about $250-300/month while living in Bloomington, IN and now am adjusting my monthly grocery spending to $750-900/month while living in Manhattan (that's what you get for living in US's most expensive city)
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,601Registered User Senior Member
    ^ I really feel like it would be cheaper to eat out every day if you're spending that much...
    Oops... I actually meant that's my monthly spending on food as a whole, which includes eating out. I suspect that I will spend about $750 ($25 per day on food) but I'm being cautious and budgeting for $900, especially for the first month as I am going to buy a lot of stuff that lasts for a long time (ex. sugar) When budgeting, always budget at the max of what you suspect to spend as you never want to be over budget and have some give.
  • davidthefatdavidthefat Posts: 1,521Registered User Senior Member
    Just live off of protein shakes, tuna, oatmeal, pasta and other fish with the occasional red meat.
    Ramen noodles! (not the cup o' noodles kind or anything that just needs hot water or a microwave) Get the ramen noodles in packaging that you put in a saucepan with 19 1/2 oz of water. Just follow the simple directions, add an egg and some green onion while boiling, and some Sriracha for extra kick and flavor if you want after it's done. That's a way that Asians do it.
  • davidthefatdavidthefat Posts: 1,521Registered User Senior Member
    Never ever put a whole habenero in ramen. I did that once, the habenero sucked up all the juice and that burst in my mouth. Swallowing the concoction was a very very bad idea. I think I almost got stomach ulcers from that.
  • be_somebodybe_somebody Posts: 488Registered User Member
    $750 - 900 for groceries in Manhattan? That's crazy. I spent 4 months in NYC and didn't spend that much. Have you tried Trader Joe's on 14th? Great organic stuff at a low price.
  • AxeBackAxeBack Posts: 290Registered User Junior Member
    $100-$120 (on each visit to the grocery store, I never spend more than $55). I end up eating a lot of random foods (fruits/healthy snacks) as replacements for meals. I'd rather eat when I'm hungry instead of eat at lunchtime or eat at dinnertime. That's just me.