Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do TA's get paid?

Shaggy007Shaggy007 Posts: 851Registered User Member
edited September 2011 in College Life
If they do, how much?
Post edited by Shaggy007 on

Replies to: Do TA's get paid?

• RoxSoxRoxSox Posts: 2,179Registered User Senior Member
    Yes they do, I don't know how much though, it probably depends. It is a good deal more than your typical hourly job, but I am sure it requires a lot more work.
  • icedragonicedragon Posts: 2,170Registered User Senior Member
    yes, i think its considered a workstudy job and no clue.
  • queenthethirdqueenthethird Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
    I just started as an undergrad TA and I'm getting paid. Still have no clue how much though but it'll probably be close to minimum wage. But yeah graduate TA's get paid. My guess is around 12-16 and hour.
  • uw2014uw2014 Posts: 258Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, but not much at all. Some get their tuition waived if they teach.
  • demeterdemeter Posts: 1,367Registered User Senior Member
    As an undergrad TA, I was paid $1500/semester, which was definitely enough for books, spending money, and some savings.

But I've also met people who weren't paid at all but instead were given academic credit (I think this is relatively rare, though).
  • meShannonmeShannon Posts: 277User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    I know a lot of graduate students going to school for the sciences that TA and their tuition is waived. At the one school, if your lab group's PI can't support to pay your tuition (if he's having issues getting grants and funding) then you TA for a lab class every semester and your tuition is waived that way. They also get stipends for about $25k a year simply for being in graduate school.
  • spdfspdf Posts: 955Registered User Member
    At a major state university, a graduate student TA in science can expect to get an annual stipend of about $25k along with an out-of-state tuition waiver, but might still have to pay in-state tuition. The $25k isn't payment for being in grad school, it's a salary for the TA position (they're not paid hourly). Graduate TA's are usually given what is called a 20-hour appointment, but it's understood that they really won't be working that many hours each week. Making them half-time on paper qualifies them for university health benefits. If the supervising professor has research money, the grad student can go on a research assistantship instead of a teaching assistantship and receive a similar (though usually slightly lower) salary for doing their graduate research. Guidelines for undergraduate TA's vary by institution, but graduate TA's are all in the same approximate ballpark.
  • b@r!umb@r!um Posts: 9,473Registered User Senior Member
    A few more data points:

At my former undergraduate college, undergraduate TAs are paid by the hour. (Currently at a rate of $9.25, I think. Crappy but a few cents more than any other job on campus.)

Undergraduate math TAs at a private research university in the same city got $5,000 per course. Graduate math TAs at the same university got roughly $10,000, a tuition waiver and health insurance for the exact same job.

In my current department at a different private research university, graduate math TAs get about $7,500 per quarter course plus a tuition waiver and health insurance. Undergraduate TAs get around $15 per hour.
  • hyperJuliehyperJulie Posts: 1,499Registered User Senior Member
    I'm an undergraduate TA for psych 101 and I get academic credit. I wish it was a paycheck. :P
  • marcdvlmarcdvl Posts: 1,315Registered User Senior Member
    $9 an hour is what I heard for Wash U...As a CS major I can just sit in a lab and do homework when no one's there though (which I assume is most of the time).
  • Mojo91Mojo91 Posts: 162Registered User Junior Member
    what is a TA?
  • polarscribepolarscribe Posts: 3,232Registered User Senior Member
    spdf wrote:
    Graduate TA's are usually given what is called a 20-hour appointment, but it's understood that they really won't be working that many hours each week.

Ha! Actually, they usually work more than 20 hours per week.
    spdf wrote:
    If the supervising professor has research money, the grad student can go on a research assistantship instead of a teaching assistantship and receive a similar (though usually slightly lower) salary for doing their graduate research.

This is precisely backwards - RAs are usually paid more than TAs. Research grants tend to be more generous than university funding, plus research is considered "more prestigious" than teaching.

I'm an RA at Indiana University and receive an $11,000 stipend paid monthly from September to April, health insurance and a full tuition/fee waiver (worth about $22,000). My field isn't very well funded and hence the stipend is comparatively low.
  • polarscribepolarscribe Posts: 3,232Registered User Senior Member
    Mojo91 wrote:
    what is a TA?

Short for Teaching Assistant. They, well, assist professors in their teaching responsibilities - running labs, grading papers, proctoring exams, leading review sessions, providing extra tutoring, etc.

At the graduate level, TAs often take sole responsibility for teaching classes - they're usually known then as Graduate Student Instructors or Associate Instructors.
  • queenthethirdqueenthethird Posts: 167Registered User Junior Member
    $9 an hour is what I heard for Wash U...As a CS major I can just sit in a lab and do homework when no one's there though (which I assume is most of the time).

I just found out I'm getting paid $10 an hour as an undergrad to sit on my butt and grade stuff and answer questions :P
  • marcdvlmarcdvl Posts: 1,315Registered User Senior Member
    At the rate I'm going, I'll be able to pay for modern warfare 3 by November with TA money...take that school!