Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Why do i always feel S%$^y when i wake up in the morning?

dantheman91dantheman91 Posts: 236Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2011 in College Life
I really don't understand it. Every morning I always wake up feel crappy, unmotivated, uninspired, and just plain s^$(y. It becomes a drag just to get anything accomplished.

And I don't understand why, because compared to the life I had at my last college (a small liberal arts school), where I barely made any friends the whole year and didn't fit in with the place, i am having an extremely good time at my new school. I am in the marching band, which is one of the best in the country, and in the 2 weeks i've been here I have made so many more friends and hung out with them so many more times than I did at the last school.

Last night after practice we all went to dinner and had a great time, then later we went to a Hookah bar where we just chilled out and relaxed for a few hours. I walked out that evening (as i do most evenings here) thinking, "wow i finally found a place that i love".. I go back to my dorm around 12:30am and watch some TV. I'm a happy camper. Go to sleep. Wake up, and for whatever reason i feel like i do every morning.. unmotivated, crappy, etc.. I always seem to feel like every new day when i haven't done anything social (even when i just wake up) i'm being an antisocial looser.

Even today, where I have practice at noon and my first game marching with the band, a day I will probably never forget, I still feel like crap now as i type this.

So to sum it up, i don't really HAVE a reason to feel crappy like this, especially since i pretty much know it will be gone later today. Does anyone have a similar problem? Or am i just a weird one?
Post edited by dantheman91 on

Replies to: Why do i always feel S%$^y when i wake up in the morning?

• typeakidtypeakid Posts: 377Registered User Member
    You probably need more sleep. Usually that's why most people feel terrible in the morning.

If it is to be, it is up to me.....
  • PRiNCESSMAHiNAPRiNCESSMAHiNA Posts: 2,120Registered User Senior Member
    If you don't get the right amount of sleep, you'll wake up feeling terrible. Too much will make you feel just as bad as too little.
  • djamiesondjamieson Posts: 319Registered User Junior Member
    Depression or lack of motivation, could be bothe or niether
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Posts: 18,236Super Moderator Senior Member
    Could you talk to a counselor at your student health center? I think it woud help. They could tell you if you need to see a doctor. That's what happened with my son last year. Good luck!
  • moneybagsmoneybags Posts: 71Registered User Junior Member
    You might want to get your thyroid checked.
  • Magnum45Magnum45 Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    I have this exact same problem. I'm super motivated and happy during the day but when I first wake up I am extremely depressed and nervous about the day ahead. It happened this morning when I woke up after 6 hours of sleep. I will take note of how I feel after eight hours of sleep. It could be lack of sleep however I have noticed this problem for a long time.
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    I was reading about a study the other day which showed that regardless of what the change in circumstances was in a persons life (major tragedy, winning the lottery, etc) after a year people were always back to their "baseline" level of happiness-- suggesting that happiness has a lot less to do with circumstances than we believe and a lot more to do with the way we think. Maybe you're just one of those people who aren't wired to emphasize the good things and that's something you need to work on.
  • Smud96Smud96 Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    I would also suggest trying to get the ideal range amount of sleep. That would happen to me especially during school time mainly from too little sleep, or too much resulting in laziness.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,899Registered User Senior Member
    I think you're just overwhelmed. You say this has all happened in like 2 weeks? It's probably a jolt from summer and such. Give your body a few weeks to adjust to this new schedule.
  • detailmoredetailmore Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    If you use an alarm clock, you could be waking up in the middle of one of the sleeping cycles, which makes it hard to get up and you end feeling groggy and ****ty for a while.
  • DrewCollinsDrewCollins Posts: 635Registered User Member
    Get more sleep, the reason you feel like that is because you are waking up in the middle of a deep sleep cycle like detailmore said...I think its the 3rd cycle but whatever. Point is to try to go to bed earlier.
  • enfieldacademyenfieldacademy Posts: 2,321- Member
    I don't think his problem is waking up in the wrong part of the sleep cycle, where you feel unrested. The symptoms of that seem to be different than the ones he is mentioning, plus I think most people can usually identify when that (waking up at the wrong time) is the source of their problems.

Seems like the OP is waking up rested but unexplainably depressed.
    And I don't understand why, because compared to the life I had at my last college (a small liberal arts school), where I barely made any friends the whole year and didn't fit in with the place, i am having an extremely good time at my new school. I am in the marching band, which is one of the best in the country, and in the 2 weeks i've been here I have made so many more friends and hung out with them so many more times than I did at the last school.

I think this is relevant. Your brain has maybe been affected by the transition, so for whatever complicated reasons you're waking up with neurotransmitters in the wrong amounts or ratios, or whatever, where the right ratios would mean you would be waking up feeling happy.

If that's the case, then the problem with hopefully resolve on it's own, once you adjust, which just takes time.
  • JanofLeidenJanofLeiden Posts: 505Registered User Member
    Achieve harmony and balance in your life. No canned soup, no florescent bulbs, no harsh words, no raised eyebrows, straight hair, pens not pencils, french press coffee, comfortable shoes, few words.
  • boysx3boysx3 Posts: 5,160Registered User Senior Member
    Speaking as a mom...are you dehydrated? Chronic mild dehydration can make you feel sluggish and out of sorts. Make a conscious decision to drink several glasses/bottles of water every day...and especially at bed time--and see if you feel better in a couple of days. Also..get more sleep.
  • enfieldacademyenfieldacademy Posts: 2,321- Member
    Achieve harmony and balance in your life. No canned soup, no florescent bulbs, no harsh words, no raised eyebrows, straight hair, pens not pencils, french press coffee, comfortable shoes, few words.

I really like this advice.