Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Academic probation?

Ryu HayabusaRyu Hayabusa Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2006 in College Life
What happens if your on academic probation? Do you get your financial aid taken away? How do you get off academic probation?
Post edited by Ryu Hayabusa on

Replies to: Academic probation?

• feenotypefeenotype Posts: 2,304Registered User Senior Member
    Usually the first time you get on Academic Probation, nothing will happen other than you'll be barred from certain schools activities (like sports or holding an SGA office). You have one semester to bring your GPA up to the minimum or you be dismissed from the university. You financial aid will not be affected the first time. Beware that the minimum GPA to qualify for financial aid may be higher than the minimum GPA to say in Good Standing.
  • polkadot_heartpolkadot_heart Posts: 279Registered User Junior Member
    I think it might depend on the school. At the one I attend, there is no academic probation: you get below a 1.75 and you're gone. No questions. No nothing. Then again, I do go to a private school in the South. I'm sure public are different and there are different situations from school to school.
  • colinpcolinp Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    It depends on the school. Where I am, you are on probation for <2.0 gpa. One semester to bring up or face possible suspension.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Posts: 6,664Registered User Senior Member
    My school is probation with a GPA under 2.0 also. To get off, you have to pass at least 12 credit hours and bring your GPA up back over 2.0.

... I think for first semester (or all of freshmen year) they set it at 1.7
  • Ryu HayabusaRyu Hayabusa Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
    I think my school is set at <2.0 GPA for the first year. How hard is it to get off academic probation?
  • bluealien01bluealien01 Posts: 1,941Registered User Senior Member
    Is this about the class you missed the exam for? Shouldn't you ask your advisor since they know the school you are at and therefore know the academic policies of the school?
  • joevjoev Posts: 2,924- Senior Member
    Drop a class if it is going to drop your GPA below 2.0
  • rahulnirmal2000rahulnirmal2000 Posts: 238Registered User Junior Member
    I think its way too late to drop classes now, the semester is just about over.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,851Super Moderator Senior Member
    Processes vary from school to school. At some schools if you are placed on academic probation a notation is made on your transcript, at other schools it is not. At some schools students on academic probation are required to meet with their academic advisor or dean, At some schools being on academic probation means that you cannot apply for study abroad, pledge at frat or sorority, hold office, etc.

If money is an issue, your best bet is to check the policy at your school as policies vary from state to state and your status could affect any state aid that you receive.

Ex: In NYS if you are getting TAP, there are guidelines which consitiute successful progress toward a degree. If you do not meet those guidelines you are out of the money.

I think the same is true for students receiving Pell/SEOG.

Satisfactory Academic Progress:
    To be eligible to receive federal student aid, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate. You must meet your school's written standard of satisfactory progress. Check with your school to find out its standard.

If you received federal student aid for the first time on or after July 1, 1987, and you're enrolled in a program that's longer than two years, the following definition of satisfactory progress also applies to you: You must have a C average by the end of your second academic year of study or have an academic standing consistent with your institution's graduation requirements. You must continue to maintain satisfactory academic progress for the rest of your course of study.

http://www.ed.gov/prog_info/SFA/StudentGuide/1998-9/it.html

Depending on the school if you have merit money, academic probation could (and ususally does) mean the loss of your scholarshipb ecause you did not live up to the terms of the scholarship.

Finals are approaching so dropping the class is a moot point. Are you missing any work? If yes, find out if your professor can give you an incomplete (which places your grade on hold until you turn in the rest of the work and it is evaluated. some schools will give you about 2 months into the spring term).
  • scandal-lessscandal-less Posts: 399Registered User Member
    where i come from, some scholar got his scholarship revoked in his fourth year and had to pay the sponsoring company back a huge-ass sum of moolah. all for failing a couple of classes in his 2nd/3rd year.
  • TpeckTpeck Posts: 590- Member
    Below a 2.0 and I don't think they do anything to communter students like me who don't need financial aid.
    My school is very strict and is >2.0. What do most schools have it set at? Could you get more financial aid if you get off academic probation?
  • colinpcolinp Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    The consensus seems to be around 2.0.

Some schools (like mine) tie financial aid to academics; you do poorly, no aid.
  • hlajoie1188hlajoie1188 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    No matter what the case, you should just try your very best to bring up your gpa. There are great tutoring services and helpful teachers at every campus.

GOOD LUCK
    2.0 is a very hard GPA to maintain.