Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

"Dr." vs "Professor"

FlavianFlavian Posts: 752Registered User Member
edited December 2007 in College Life
I was wondering, what is the difference in the use of these two titles, Dr. and Professor, especially in these cases:

(Assuming that the instructor holds both a Doctorate and Professorship)
1. In class
2. Out of class
3. Formal letter
4. Email
5. Research paper header
Post edited by Flavian on

Replies to: "Dr." vs "Professor"

• Vicky06Vicky06 Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
    I always use doctor if not otherwise asked to be called something else. I usually ask politely after class how a professor would like to be addressed.
  • FlavianFlavian Posts: 752Registered User Member
    I do too. Doctor is much easier to pronounce. Professor requires too much mouth-lip movement. hah

I was wondering if Professors generally have a preference in this issue.
  • DRabDRab Posts: 6,107Registered User Senior Member
    An interesting question.
  • collegeprofcollegeprof Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    I ask my students to call me by my first name :-) I think it's most common for professors to be called "professor X." This applies in or out of class, in an e-mail, etc. And, remember, if you're writing a letter, you never abbreviate to "prof. X"--always spell out "professor X."

To me "doctor X" always sounds a little funny. It seems to emphasize my degree as opposed to what I do. At any rate, either title is generally fine. Avoid "Mr." or "Ms." (sounds like high school). And it's a good idea to ask "what would you like us to call you?" if you're not told.
  • Ryu HayabusaRyu Hayabusa Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
    I think "professor X" is a more respectable title and it should be used instead of "doctor" except in the case of medical doctors.
  • DRabDRab Posts: 6,107Registered User Senior Member
    Why do you think that it's a more respectable title?, ryu hayabusa?
  • KnavishKnavish Posts: 835Registered User Member
    To me, "Doctor X" seems like flattery. I like "Professor."
  • ksandersksanders Posts: 821Registered User Member
    Unless it's one of those crazed people who demand you call them doctor, most probably dont care whether you use professor or doctor
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Posts: 31,070Registered User Senior Member
    at my D school I think most profs either go by just their first names or their last names
    In our neck of the woods ( the northwest) I don't know many who use an academic title- it is too confusing .I don't even call my doctor Dr. ;)
  • tsdadtsdad Posts: 4,003Registered User Senior Member
    I believe that only those with the rank of Associate Professor or Professor are entitled to be called Professor. Collegeprof is that your understanding?
  • Teach2005Teach2005 Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    I think it has to do with the school and part of the country you are in. At both universities I attended, everyone addressed professors as Dr. ___. You never heard some one say Professor _____. However, I know at some schools it is the reverse.
  • bluealien01bluealien01 Posts: 1,941Registered User Senior Member
    First names...
  • feenotypefeenotype Posts: 2,274Registered User Senior Member
    "Professor X" to me sound pretentious. "Dr. X" does not. They earned a doctorate and are afforded the title of Doctor in an academic setting, I believe. I emphasize "academic setting"; calling a lawyer with an LL.D who doesn't teach to a school but only practices law "Dr. X" does indeed sound pretentious to me.
  • towerpumpkintowerpumpkin Posts: 1,660Registered User Senior Member
    I always thought that calling someone "Dr." meant that they had a Ph.D (or is a medical doctor) whereas calling someone professor just meant that they were your instructor. I could be wrong, though...
  • FlavianFlavian Posts: 752Registered User Member
    Etymologically, I find "Professor" (someone who professes) to be somewhat more awkward, perhaps a little pretentious. "Doctor" in Latin is simply someone who teaches, although that term has been somehow associated with medicine in modern culture.