Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Online philosophy or Spanish Culture and Lit?

rbouwensrbouwens Posts: 889Registered User Member
edited November 2012 in College Life
I think I want to major in anthropology next fall, with a either a minor in Spanish or philosophy or a double major/minor with one of those. As for career plans, I want to travel.

Philosophy sounds SO interesting, but I want to get better at Spanish. What should I do?
Post edited by rbouwens on

Replies to: Online philosophy or Spanish Culture and Lit?

• YonderMountainYonderMountain Posts: 290Registered User Junior Member
    Spanish. It will actually affect your future enjoyment of life.
  • NonAntiAnarchistNonAntiAnarchist Posts: 921Registered User Member
    Philosophy. It will actually affect your future enjoyment of life.
    It honestly seems like a bit of a joke that Spanish (!?!) would improve your life more than a strong grasp on philosophy. Let's see, do I want to talk to the people at the local Mexican restaurant, or do I want to be prepared to handle concepts like death, love, god, the meaning of life, etc.

Hmmmmmmmm...
  • YonderMountainYonderMountain Posts: 290Registered User Junior Member
    ^ The Spanish class will actually allow you to do the former.
    You're right, an education in philosophy is not going to magically allow one to grasp the issues I mentioned (I don't know if it's even possible to have a grasp on them), but you'll be better prepared than if you wouldn't have studied it.

I know in my own life, philosophy has had radically positive benefits in terms of how I've dealt with personal issues - relationships, self-worth, and meaning in life, just to name a few. And if a loved on were to pass, or an otherwise tragic event were to take place, without some sort of intensive self-reflection (which might as well be philosophy in the first place), I can guarantee it'd be almost impossible to handle the situation in a mature and healthy way. Philosophy doesn't guarantee you will be able to handle it maturely, but I think the perspective one gains from studying it is a huge net benefit in that direction.
  • rbouwensrbouwens Posts: 889Registered User Member
    interesting......
    And I mean, Jesus, compared to Spanish?! Really?! :P

But I see that you say "online" philosophy.. Not sure if that'll be quite the same experience as with a professor. In the same respect, philosophy might as well be learnt on one's own if the alternative is to learn it online.
  • WailingConstantWailingConstant Posts: 110Registered User Junior Member
    Well, assuming you want to do field research in Anthropology, Spanish would prove more fruitful if you choose a related area. Honestly, you can probably fit in both minors in with a degree in Anthropology without too much hardship. If you were to choose one, I'd say Spanish, since I think it is a more beneficial life skill, although that depends on where you live/plan to live in the future. I say that as a Spanish major, so it may be a biased opinion. Either one can be self-studied outside of a scholastic environment, but I can't say to what degree the difficulties would be to do so.
  • oneousoneous Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Please call or text me at 415-938-7377; I just wanted to ask where you were able to find an online spanish course. Thanks!
  • SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
    ^ There are a few SUNY (NY state schools) that have Spanish online. Go to suny.edu.
  • OrangeD00DOrangeD00D Posts: 394Registered User Member
    I'm a high school student but I found this thread by accident.

Anyways, I had a similar option last year, between philosophy and Spanish lit. I took Spanish lit and loved it! I highly recommend that class. The stories are great and it really will help you improve!
  • cty4evercty4ever Posts: 153Registered User Junior Member
    I would think Spanish would be more useful in anthropology, and a more useful double major or minor. You can't do that much with a philosophy degree without going to grad school.