Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Bedwetting and roomates

Dude321Dude321 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited July 2012 in College Life
I have suffered from bedwetting since11 and dont know what to do in college. I use disposable underwear to help my problem but what should i do. Do i tell the school and ask to be put with someone with a similar problem? Do i try and hide it from my roomate? Any one have sugestions?
Post edited by Dude321 on

Replies to: Bedwetting and roomates

• invader71invader71 Posts: 1,500Registered User Senior Member
    I would suggest perhaps asking for a single room for medical reasons although I think you will be fine with a double. You can just try to explain your situation to your roommate and I do not think that would scare them off or anything.
  • StoneMagicStoneMagic Posts: 365Registered User Member
    I would definitely talk to the school - they deal with problems like this all the time, and will hopefully be sympathetic to your issue. Options could be your own room to having a roomie with similar issues. As for sharing this with your roomate if you just follow the normal course of selection and assignment, I would urge caution - you may end up with a sweet and caring person who will support your situation, or a total _ _ _ hole who might go out of their way to embarass you. It's a risk because you don't know the type of person you'll be dealing with, and that's reality.
  • terencterenc Posts: 1,127Registered User Senior Member
    Definitely try to get a single. Call the housing office ASAP.
  • vlinesvlines Posts: 3,579Registered User Senior Member
    have you choosen your college? If not, include the dorm set up as a criteria. There are a number of colleges that offer suites, where you will have your own room, and share a bath with only one or two other people instead of a hall bath.

That will allow you to keep your privacy.
  • ladeeda6ladeeda6 Posts: 508Registered User Member
    Push for a single. Call your housing office. Personally, if it was me I wouldn't tell my roommate.
  • francie12francie12 Posts: 136Registered User Junior Member
    I know you are not asking for suggestions about this, but it worked so well for our son, when nothing else would, so I feel I have to mention it. It took care of the problem that he struggled with for many years.

Bedwetting ends with the Potty Pager - wireless alarm - an effective treatment option to cure enuresis.

Good luck, and have a great first year of college.
  • milkweedmilkweed Posts: 496Registered User Member
    2-3% of adults have this problem so I'm sure that colleges have dealt with this before.
    I'd call up the disabilities office and ask.
  • Teen123Teen123 Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    Thanks for all the advice- more will be apprecuated- thanks
  • neuroscience1234neuroscience1234 Posts: 321Registered User Member
    Definitely go with the single. I think it's a bad idea to tell your roommate. Unfortunately, like Stonemagic said, you can end up with a roommate who will be totally understanding, or a complete ******bag. Single may not be the "traditional freshman college experience", but it will save you a lot of stress your first year. You already have to adjust to being in college, and having to constantly worry about how roommate will handle your problem is not a good idea. And a roommate may not go out of their way to embarrass/humiliate you, but they most probably will tell a close friend of theirs your problem. The close friend tells another "close friend" and blah blah blah. After that, it's a done deal. I know it sounds like I see the worst in people. But in such a case, it's better to be cautious.
  • PRiNCESSMAHiNAPRiNCESSMAHiNA Posts: 2,120Registered User Senior Member
    Get a single if possible, but definitely DO NOT TELL YOUR ROOMMATE. Some people seem nice, but they're not, etc. You don't want your first semester/year of college to be ruined because of a nasty person that can't keep their mouth shut.

Good luck!
  • JustLivingLifeJustLivingLife Posts: 21- New Member
    One of my cousins had the same issue, he just told people he has a bladder infection and wets the bed.

And he's a big, muscular, 6'5 black guy, so I doubt his roommates told people lol.