Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

contacting professors after the class is over

doryphorusdoryphorus Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Life
This might be a really stupid question, I really want to ask this professor a question related to class, but the class is over and I've actually graduated. I sent an email with my non-university email account, but she never replied. Is it possible the professor just missed the email? Would it be okay to call the professor's office phone and leave a message, because I actually really want an answer--it's something only she can answer?
Post edited by doryphorus on

Replies to: contacting professors after the class is over

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,866Registered User Senior Member
    I'd resend it with your university email. Profs are busy. If it doesn't come from a university or professional email, they're likely to skim over it.
  • doryphorusdoryphorus Posts: 174Registered User Junior Member
    The problem is I don't have it anymore because I graduated
  • OminousRunOminousRun Posts: 690Registered User Member
    I've contacted professors post-graduation with questions and referrals. If they remember you from class then they are more likely to respond back to you. Phone calls are never inappropriate in a professional setting.
    Thank you for the responses.

So I can leave a message asking her to please call me back when she has time? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I've actually never phoned a professor before.
  • purpleacornpurpleacorn Posts: 1,369Registered User Senior Member
    I would perhaps resend the email-- professors get lots and lots of emails, and I would do it with your name and a descriptive subject line. If you're going to call, I would try to do it when they have office hours. At my uni, all syllabi are posted online-- where office hours are. If you're going to leave a message, make sure you clearly state your name and the thing you need-- and if it's a quick question or if was going to be an involved question.

Basically, be as clear and upfront as possible. And if your professor still doesn't answer after a phone call and/or second email, it might just be time to give up, especially if you didn't have a relationship with the prof beforehand.
    Thanks. She doesn't have office hours. I think I will try to call just once because I would never be able to tell if she didn't respond intentionally or just because of an email thing. I will definitely state the question in the message--I want to know where I should go when I travel somewhere, she said once that she could tell me. Do you think that's worth calling for?