Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best study tips to deal with harder courses?

elite2291elite2291 Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Life
There are some classes where you can just skim the chapter and look at the summary objectives and manage to land a B.

Then there are the 4 credit class courses which are always hard and on top of that you get a professor who speaks in general terms meaning you ask what's going to be on the exam and he just says study chapters 3-6.

Each chapter is 25 pages long and their is just so much info. How do you manage to still pass the exam when there is so much info to go over?
Post edited by elite2291 on

Replies to: Best study tips to deal with harder courses?

• DJpsu2015DJpsu2015 Posts: 811Registered User Member
    It's kind of hard to generalize a study strategy since we all have our own methods, but for classes with massive reading assignments, I skim over to get a general idea and then pinpoint any significant turn of events. Then again, it would definitely depend on the subject. For classes like Art History, I would read to get a general idea of each turn of events, then get into depth with significant meanings, people, dates and reasons a piece of work is important.

Hope that helped a little...
  • steellord321steellord321 Posts: 349Registered User Junior Member
    Photographic memory or take an educated guess at what'll be on the test and skip the rest. You shouldn't actually ask that and expect a serious answer. I find that lecture is a good gauge for that. If the prof is like "who cares" after a lot of names or dates, then that's a safe bet the exam won't be so detailed. If it's a class with say 5-6 mini exams then after the first you should really have a good idea.
  • HumanoidHumanoid Posts: 163Registered User Junior Member
    100 pages, that isn't too much. Just outline the chapters. You should be able to puzzle out what will be on the exam and what won't based on the lecture for most classes. At least that is what I do for my bio classes. If it's a vocab heavy class I make flash cards (or if it is something like Orgo where you memorize lots of stuff). It helps to link all the ideas together if you can.