Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What are your backup plans?

CatriaCatria Posts: 10,659Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in College Life
I mean, some of you must have backup plans in the event your plans with your current major fall through. What are your backup plans?
Post edited by Catria on

Replies to: What are your backup plans?

• romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Posts: 22,868Registered User Senior Member
    I have a terrible habit of never having a plan B. Plan A always seems to work out. Yes, this will bite me in the ***.

I'll let you know in 2-4 months when my grad school apps don't pan out the way I want them to lol.

Plan B for me is probably Americorps or similar program.
  • ladeeda6ladeeda6 Posts: 508Registered User Member
    Plan A was becoming some sort of biologist...until this semester. I hate everything to do with my Cell Bio class and realized for sure that I could not see myself working at a bench or a hood all day everyday.
    Plan B: environmental biology. There's a wide variety of work, and the field is expanding where I live. Travel, lab, field and there's a lot of work that only requires a B.S. so I don't feel pressured to jump right into graduate school just to earn an acceptable wage.
  • CatriaCatria Posts: 10,659Registered User Senior Member
    Plan A: becoming a physicist (where I live, what pay could come with a master's degree in physics is comparable to what engineers can earn; could have gone to a PhD in the US but inability to take the PGRE on time killed all my chances)

Plan B: special education. I know, completely different from physics, but will only be activated after graduation.
  • VanechkaVanechka Posts: 361Registered User Member
    A back up plan?!? What is such a thing? Go hard or go home.

But more seriously, my plan is rather vague. There is an end goal and a few small goals on the end, but so much time in between that must still be figured out.
  • spectasticspectastic Posts: 847- Member
    Plan A: California

Plan B: Texas

Plan C: Somewhere NOT in the midwest....

in terms of what I'm studying, well I'll be graduating in a month, so we're way past the event horizon. I would like to get my doctorate and work in R&D, but first I'll have to see how my co-op turns out. I might change my mind - doubt it though.
  • SillyStokey92SillyStokey92 Posts: 676Registered User Member
    Plan A is presently go to grad school and become a professor of English.

Plan B is work for a non-profit organization, hopefully on the ground as a volunteer coordinator and not as a director of funding or anything.

Plan C is... cry myself to sleep for a while?
  • SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
    I don't have a plan B...probably because I don't even have a solid plan A. I mean, I guess my plan A is to graduate with a BA in psych, which I know I will be able to do (let's be honest, psych isn't a very hard major)...so...yeah...
  • CatriaCatria Posts: 10,659Registered User Senior Member
    My backup plan is an extreme change from physics/engineering...
  • Writer1992Writer1992 Posts: 1,017Registered User Senior Member
    Become a bum.

I honestly don't know. I barely have a Plan A.
  • musicallylatinmusicallylatin Posts: 3,813Registered User Senior Member
    Uh... Plan B? Should I have one of those?

Currently my dream is working in some sort of politics communications. Preferably doing research kind of a thing... But I also want to lobby perhaps. Maybe go to law school?

So seriously, I don't have a plan a... Not sure what I'd switch to major wise if my current one doesn't pan out.