Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Should I try to graduate in December of next year?

SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in College Life
After this semester, I'll have 35 credits left to graduate.

I'm planning on taking 3 credits during the winter session, and 15 credits next semester, so that would leave me with 17 credits to complete which would mean if I took 1 class over the summer (3 credits), and another 15 credits in the fall, I could graduate in December rather than May.

The other option I have is to take 12 credits a semester, no winter/summer classes, and graduate in May.

Which is better?
Post edited by SingDanceRunLife on

Replies to: Should I try to graduate in December of next year?

• HumanoidHumanoid Posts: 163Registered User Junior Member
    It really all comes down to what you want to do.

I would say one thing to keep in mind is that senior year of college is harder than senior year of high school. You will be very busy looking for jobs or doing grad school stuff. Most job places hire between September and November. My school does a lot of career fairs during this time which eat up time if you go to them, plus there is prepping for interviews, researching companies, resume stuff, and building a website.
  • SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
    I'm most likely going to go to grad school, but there's also the very real possibility I won't.

I really don't have many "hard" classes left...the hardest I have left is stats 2 and my senior seminars. I have 15 credits of free electives I need to take, so I can take super easy classes for those...
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Posts: 22,762Registered User Senior Member
    One approach would be to look for work starting in January. If you don't find work, then continue for another semester, perhaps taking graduate courses. Are you planning on grad school at the same school? That might make getting admitted easier.

Are you in a major with a project sequence senior year? Those usually run fall-spring so that might make it harder to graduate early.
    I do not plan on going to grad school at my current school. They have none of the programs I'm interested in.

I'm a psych major, and there's only one real requirement for senior psych majors, which is a 400-level seminar, and those are offered every semester.

Also, graduating in December wouldn't be "early." I took last fall off, so if I graduated in December, it will have taken me 4 years to graduate, and if I graduate in May it will be 4 1/2.
    Sounds like graduating in Dec would be fine.
    I'll probably try to do it. I would like to get out of school.
    It should save someone a few dollars too.
    Some money for sure, but not a ton since I have a scholarship from my school that will extend until I graduate (they'll give it to me for up to 5 years), and the tuition assistance from my mom's job will do the same. (So basically about 2/3 of my tuition is paid by sources other than my parents).