Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is Samsung laptop good for college student?

Mansu007Mansu007 Posts: 666Registered User Member
edited October 2013 in College Life
Hello!

I am a high school senior trying to buy a good laptop for future...I heard good things about Samsung electronics so I was wondering if anybody uses Samsung laptops and how good they are...specific model is Samsung QX411.
Post edited by Mansu007 on

Replies to: Is Samsung laptop good for college student?

• SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
    Samsung makes quality laptops, but I would personally go with an Asus or Toshiba over a Samsung.
  • spectasticspectastic Posts: 847- Member
    just get something with an intel dual core or better. and if you're engineering major, you'll want 4 GB RAM.

I recommend thinkpads. They're not as good as the good old days, but still top quality in terms of performance and longevity.
  • heatherpattonheatherpatton Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    Nice thread :)
  • SinkOrSwim123SinkOrSwim123 Posts: 235Registered User Junior Member
  • MariaXiongMariaXiong Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Check for the configurations and select
  • ladeeda6ladeeda6 Posts: 508Registered User Member
    Dell is a crap brand with even worse customer service. Avoid!
    I have a Toshiba that I got last year that I really like. But I think you should look and consider the specs of specific laptops and not just brands.
  • whenhenwhenhen Posts: 4,081Registered User Senior Member
    Agree with Ladeeda6. Unless you're planning on doing engineering or a hard science major, any laptop should be fine. For most majors, the bulk of your productive time on a laptop will be spent either on word or the internet, looking things up.
  • fumafoo101fumafoo101 Posts: 291Registered User Junior Member
    I have a Samsung but I'm not sure if its the same model. I can say the only thing I don't like is the touch pad. Sometimes when I type my work will be deleted or it will go to another spot on the page. For example I could be at the end of a paragraph and it will move up to the start of it. Even with a mouse it will occur. I always have, but now more then ever, I will save my work almost every 5 minutes or after a sentence just to be on the safe side.

Agree with others who say do not go with a Dell. My sister as only had problems with her's.

I got my Samsung on discount at Best Buy and I purchased Geek Squad protection plan which helped when my laptop did blue screen for no reason. They told me it was because I was using Google Chrome. That is really the only problem I have had.
  • username1824username1824 Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    Agreed with above. If you're just using word and the internet and listening to music you can get the smallest hard drive. I only used like 20GB on my 100GB hard drive after a year of use. 2GB of RAM is plenty for doing whatever you do. If you want to play games on your computer or if you want to use some other program then you need to look at the recommended settings of the program.
  • juilletjuillet Posts: 5,892Super Moderator Senior Member
    Samsung is a decent laptop.

I must disagree with the smallest hard drive advice, even if you are just listening to music and word processing. My music takes up 70 GB of HDD space, and my documents are another 15.5 GB of HDD space. I also have another 278 GB of movies, although I could theoretically move most of that onto an external HDD and save some space. But even just my music, documents, and pictures take up about 100 GB of HDD space. I personally wouldn't get a machine with less than 500 GB of HDD space, especially since most machines come standard with that. However, I will say that nowadays most of my documents are also stored on the cloud - Google Drive or Dropbox, so that I have easy access to it on other computers (like the lab).

Personally I love my MacBook and I'll never go back to Windows, but my favorite Windows computers were Toshibas. Lenovo also makes a decent quality computer. Samsung is pretty good, too. But if I had to buy another Windows computer today, I would get a Toshiba. I have also heard good things about Asus.
  • syed2011syed2011 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    I prefer Samsung laptop because if its warranty, trouble free and durability.
  • AllisonGardnerAllisonGardner Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Yea i think Samsung laptops are fine :)
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Posts: 6,598Registered User Senior Member
    I have a Samsung but I'm not sure if its the same model. I can say the only thing I don't like is the touch pad. Sometimes when I type my work will be deleted or it will go to another spot on the page. For example I could be at the end of a paragraph and it will move up to the start of it. Even with a mouse it will occur. I always have, but now more then ever, I will save my work almost every 5 minutes or after a sentence just to be on the safe side.

You should disable the touchpad when you have an external mouse plugged in. It's likely your wrist is tapping the pad while you're typing and causing the cursor to skip around the screen. Add that in with allowing tapping the touchpad to count as a mouseclick and it's easy to have that happen. Some touchpad makers have "wrist detection" technology which is supposed to mitigate this problem, but I don't have a clue how well it works since I tend to always use an external mouse with the pad disabled.
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,457Registered User Senior Member
    This thread is a year old.