Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do Grades Matter in College? Plz Help. Confused transfer student

nabilsyed0nabilsyed0 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Life
I go to UC Davis in CA and i am a transfer student from a community college. This is my first quarter here and after hearing different advice from everybody about what's important to accomplish in college I am really confused

I am a Managerial Economics major but i am not a hundred percent sure what I want to do as a career yet. I am a VERY sociable person, I am very good at starting a conversation with anybody regardless of the situation. So I don't think communication skills are going to be a problem. I was intially thinking of maybe doing Finance or Accounting but I do not want to sit on a computer or do paperwork the whole day. So now im leaning more towards maybe Marketing, Human Resources or maybe an administrative job.

I haven't done any internships yet. The only jobs I've had were at fry's electronics and a banker at wells Fargo for a summer job

I am pretty sure that i want to go on to grad school ( maybe get a MBA ) but like i said Im not a hundred percent sure yet. I most likely will because everybody has a bachelors degree these days and i've heard that employers look for prospective employees who have further education.

There is only so much time in the day. What should i focus on? How important are internships compared to grades? Should i join a fraternity? ( Even though it seems all they do is party and waste time doing stuff for the fraternity. Not to mention the enormous costs). I am only going to be here for a little more than 2 years so I want to make the most out of this opportunity

Any and all comments/advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Post edited by nabilsyed0 on

Replies to: Do Grades Matter in College? Plz Help. Confused transfer student

• Cens10Cens10 Posts: 732Registered User Member
    GPA is extremely important, especially if you want to go to grad school. You have to find a way to balance internships and school, and if you can't handle internships and schools alone, there is no reason to add a fraternity to the situation.
  • sopranokittysopranokitty Posts: 1,450Registered User Senior Member
    Grades are extremely important. If you go below a 2.0 GPA, you'll be put on academic probation, and if you go under a 1.5 GPA, you'll be subject to disqualification. Your schoolwork comes first.
  • nabilsyed0nabilsyed0 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    I had a 3.5 in community college but its a lot harder at university because of the quarter system. I forsure won't get below a 2.0. I meant like does it matter if i have a 3.0 and someone else has a 3.5

Also should i join clubs? There is a finance and investment club on campus that seems really interesting and i was thinking of joining that. And the point of joining a fraternity would be to network so it'd be easier for me to find a job once i graduated
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Posts: 4,006Registered User Senior Member
    I meant like does it matter if i have a 3.0 and someone else has a 3.5

Yes, of course it will be a consideration.

If you're considering graduate school (you mentioned an MBA), your GPA needs to be at least a 3.0.

One thing that's going to be important: unless you're school is weird, your community college GPA will not count toward your GPA at your university. As a result, one bad semester can really screw your final GPA and the GPA that goes on your resume.
  • DJpsu2015DJpsu2015 Posts: 811Registered User Member
    If you want grad school as an option, then definitely aim for a good gpa (3.5+). Some entry-level jobs, I would think, would actually require to maintain a solid gpa for the recruiters to even consider you for the position, but I'm not exactly too knowledgable in this area. From what I've read, for a top MBA program, experience counts. If you have both experience and good grades, then you should have a solid chance at your desired program. It's all about balancing both. You're good at communication skills, so that's a great start.
  • ppmhotcocoappmhotcocoa Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    Always aim for that high gpa!!