Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Help! I've been falsely accused of cheating on an exam.

ProdigiousProdigious Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited January 2013 in College Life
I'm not sure if this is in the right section.

I took the exam a few months ago. I returned home and after a few weeks later I would receive my grade for the exam. I did not received any grade for the exam and I asked the professor why I did not receive my grade. The professor told me that he found two exam papers and scantrons with the same name (my name). The second exam (not my exam) did not have the same handwriting and had a lower number of correct answers. The roster for this class does not have two people with the same name. The professor accused me of cheating due to this incident. The two different exam papers will be used as evidence to prove I was cheating when I know that I DID NOT CHEAT ON the exam. I had no knowledge of this until the professor revealed that he had two exams with the same name with different handwriting. I was referred to the dean of student affairs and he points out that the professor's case seems to be strong against me.

I need help to fight this false allegation of academic dishonesty against me.
Post edited by Prodigious on

Replies to: Help! I've been falsely accused of cheating on an exam.

• HaHeHoHaHeHo Posts: 128Registered User Junior Member
    Obviously someone is trying to frame u..
    But what i don't get is, how does having 2 papers with same name seem like cheating???
    It is peculiar but how is it cheating..lol..
  • ProdigiousProdigious Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    I know someone is trying to frame me but I do not know who is trying to frame me. The class had about 80 students. I do not know most of the students in that class except for two by name. Almost every student in the class was present for the exam except for two people. The first person was very late to the exam (I saw that person come through the door to speak with the professor) and the second person was sick and had to see a doctor.

I think the professor said that I was somehow collaborating with someone on the exam. That does not make any sense to me. The professor was present at the exam walking around the classroom to catch any cheaters. Why would I deliberately harm myself by telling the second person to write my name on the exam? Obviously giving in two exams with the same name would raise red flags. Also, paying another person more knowledgeable than me to take the exam for me would have been a better choice. However, I was present for the exam so that takes out the impersonation idea.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 24,882Registered User Senior Member
    You need to find out what the procedures are at your school when a student is suspected and accused fo cheating as you are being. Find out what your options are and start working on an appeal.
  • ChemSciChemSci Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    So if there were two exams with your name on it, wouldn't there be two people who got a zero on the exam? Find out who that other person is and that should be your guy.
  • Ach7DDAch7DD Posts: 371Registered User Junior Member
    Where did that second exam come from? You only had one paper with you, correct? Ask the professor where does he believe this second exam came from, as he only gave you one.
  • Afujiwa3Afujiwa3 Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    I don't understand any of this. Does your teacher even have a case
  • juilletjuillet Posts: 5,893Super Moderator Senior Member
    The best thing you can do is follow the procedures outlined in your college's student handbook for academic dishonesty. Go ahead and make that meeting you have scheduled with the dean, and explain what you have explained here. Although on its face it does look like cheating, as you've explained it doesn't really make much sense. The best thing I could come up with is that you somehow managed to intercept another student's test - one who is better than you - erase their name and write your own, but even the worst student would realize that the second exam would get them caught.
  • SansSerifSansSerif Posts: 671Registered User Member
    If you had taken someone else's test and put your name on it, wouldn't someone else's test be missing? It doesn't make sense, either from the POV of you cheating or someone else cheating or setting you up.
  • MRudnickMRudnick Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    This may not help but having two tests with the same name on it means someone took it and put your name on it. (I know I am stating the obvious) Who ever did that would be missing a test with their name on it. If the teacher is not missing any tests then an extra test was filled out with your name on it.

If an extra test was out there how did they get it? Sounds like more an issue with the professor allowing extra tests into the wild. That would be the professor's problem not yours.
  • maynotbemaynotbe Posts: 43Registered User Junior Member
    If it was a scantron, then they could have just brought two scantrons and filled them out while looking at one test. I don't think there's a sure way to catch who did that.
  • MRudnickMRudnick Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    The original post said the professor found two exam papers as well
  • testtaker101testtaker101 Posts: 149Registered User Junior Member
    Well if your name was on a second scantron, then someone in that class had to have done it and therefore their name wouldn't be on any scantron. Tell the professor to figure out which student that is.

But your professor really has no argument here. How is this even cheating?
  • 777Blue77777Blue77 Posts: 325Registered User Member
    Everyone has come up with some great points here and you should clearly explain all of these points to the Dean.

Also, PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND

If the two exams featured different handwriting, then clearly write stuff down on a piece of paper in front of the Dean and professor (or whoever else you need to) to demonstrate that your handwriting clearly matches the test with the better score. Why would someone submit another copy of an exam with a more incorrect answers?
  • 777Blue77777Blue77 Posts: 325Registered User Member
    Also, it might help to bring in turned in written assignments that other faculty members have seen and show how that handwriting matches your handwriting from your exam on the test.
  • teachandmomteachandmom Posts: 1,238Registered User Senior Member
    I was also going to suggest that you submit writing samples dated BEFORE the exam date, preferably something you turned in for a class. That should show that you did not write on the second test in question. It'll work out. They should be looking for the person who forged your name. You could also file a law suit against that person if he/she is found. Their forgery has jeopardized your reputation and college, career, ect. It should fall under the category of libel, or something similar. Don't get scared, get mad and fight this!