Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

How much does Adderall help? (Diagnosed with ADD)

NJmets7NJmets7 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and will be attending college this fall. I have always been a just above average student, so I was wondering how much will my prescription of Adderall help me when I start college? Does adderall make you reach your full potential academically? Can it turn a B student into a A student?

Replies to: How much does Adderall help? (Diagnosed with ADD)

• WasatchWriterWasatchWriter Registered User Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    Maybe, maybe not. There's no telling how much ADHD affected your performance. Also, everyone responds differently to meds. You may even need to adjust your dosage several times.
  • NJmets7NJmets7 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    I usually lose concentration in class and when studying. I hear that working hard is more important than being naturally smart, which is why I ask how far I can go if I have the ability to study intensely for hours.
  • Pennylane2011Pennylane2011 Registered User Posts: 2,716 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    Don't count on suddenly getting the ability to study for hours as that may or may not happen. ADD does not only affect how long one can stay focused but also on processing the information. Some students fatigue with concentration. Everyone is different and as the other poster mentioned, you might need to get the right dose.
    In general, most students- ADD and not, do best with studying for a period of time and then taking a short break. Planning, breaking assignments into chunks can be helpful.
    thanks for the replies everyone. Anyone with ADD have any experience with Adderall?
    bump................
  • frugaldoctorfrugaldoctor Registered User Posts: 1,135 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    My daughter went from Bs and Cs to straight As. But she always scored in the 99th percentile on standardized exams but her grades were discordant. She didn't notice issues with her attention span but everyone else did. Now Adderall helped her while other medications failed miserably. So, you don't know until you try it. I don't think it makes you into a superstar. It only helps you use your study techniques and efforts to do well. My other daughter on Adderall isn't a straight A student.
  • cmgraysoncmgrayson Registered User Posts: 518 Member
    My daughter went from a C student to a B student (from 2.6 to a 3.3 this past semester). For her good for at least a whole grade point. My D takes Vyvanse so please investigate that as well (a smoother uptake I think). She takes the smallest dose and uses grit and will power and long hours of study to get through the rest.
    How much difference does it make for current A students? Does adderall only help the most if a student is currently underachieving compared to a student who is acing all their classes?
  • drmom123drmom123 Registered User Posts: 1,064 Senior Member
    if you are acing all your classes, what is the need for the medication? Unless.....the time spent to ACE the classes is over the top.... some people find the distractability comes in the difficulty with peers, group projects, work with others....
    I think the time spent to ace the classes might be extreme for students with ADHD (unmedicated). D still spends a lot of time studying (hours per day) but seems to be doing better with the medication.
  • drmom123drmom123 Registered User Posts: 1,064 Senior Member
    right. that's what I was trying to clarify. If you are not having difficulty getting those A's....no worries...right? BUT, fi you are spending hours more than should be the case....without meds....then, the medication could really be helpful and important.
    Yes and might just need the smallest dose (the side effects are an issue with my D). Start with a small dose and then bump up if needed. She usually doesn't take them on Fridays (start the weekend early) and doesn't take them on weekends and just winds her way through the homework on weekends.
  • agmamaagmama Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    Like others have said, it depends on the person. My son takes adderall and it's works beautifully for him. He is only 7 and in first grade though. The difference between him with and without the meds is obvious. Without, he can't stay in his seat or finish his work. With, he can pay attention and do what he needs to do. It does not make him act like a zombie at all. But, I have heard many many stories of kids who were C, D or even F students making great improvement when they were properly medicaid for their ADHD.
  • ctl987ctl987 Registered User Posts: 1,466 Senior Member
    Hi. Yes, adderall can help. One of my kids takes vyvanse which as I understand has same chemicals as adderall but is a newer med and it can have less side effects. Kid has always had A average. Meds still help him stay focused at school or with challenging homework. At school, it helps him stay focused with more boring classes In particular. A full day of school drains him more than non ADHD kids and if it is a harder day at school, he is very glad he remembered his meds. He currently takes extended release but may switch to regular doses in college since he can break up day more. Pm if u want to talk more. Some ADHD folks do better with Ritalin or concerta. Some do better with adderall. So work with a doc to see which med works better for you. Re whether your grades will improve, maybe. If ADHD has made you work below your potential, meds will likely help.
This discussion has been closed.