Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What types of bags do college students use?

magnetiquemagnetique Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2006 in College Life
In high school, everyone carries their bookbags around all day. What do you college students use to carry your stuff? What sort of bag should I get?

How many books/things do you carry around at once?
Post edited by magnetique on

Replies to: What types of bags do college students use?

• ThinManThinMan Posts: 248Registered User Junior Member
    Most people (myself included) just use a backpack, although lots of people use those side-pack thingies. I even see people using small suitcases with rollers to lug around all their textbooks.
  • kk06kk06 Posts: 554Registered User Member
    In my hs we are strongly discouraged from carrying backpacks...I plan on picking up a cute bag for college though :)
  • dukeclassof09dukeclassof09 Posts: 477Registered User Member
    I have never seen the airport-style bags that ThinMan is talking about. Most people have messenger bags (I prefer these) or backpacks. There isn't usually that much to carry at once since you don't need textbooks for class in most cases.
  • monarchsfan16monarchsfan16 Posts: 280Registered User Junior Member
    Most people here use a backpack, although I've seen plenty of people use big purses too. It's really a wide variation, but I'd say most use a backpack
  • Dima343Dima343 Posts: 2,211Registered User Senior Member
    Most people use backpacks - I use essentially a messenger bag. I think I need a backpack though for when I go mountain biking.
  • kenshikenshi Posts: 600Registered User Member
    Most kids I see including myself carry one of those five star notebooks. I put my books and my laptop in it.
  • juba2jivejuba2jive Posts: 1,001Registered User Member
    A lot of girls here use tote bags - LL Bean or Vera Bradley (barf) are two popular brands.
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Posts: 5,260Registered User Senior Member
    i didn't ever have back to back class this year, so I would often just carry a 1-subject notebook and a pencil in my hand.
  • magnetiquemagnetique Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll just take along my current bookbag and buy a nice messenger bag type also, and use whichever one fits best?
  • bahamascbahamasc Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    I have this Nike type of drawstring bag. Its really popular here. Only thing is that it is very small.
  • iheartdonutsiheartdonuts Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    I use a messenger bag when I'm gonna walk to classes nearby and a backpack when taking a bike
  • fendergirlfendergirl Posts: 4,637Registered User Senior Member
    i used a messenger bag when taking my laptop with, a backpack most other times, and sometimes i just took a pencil.
  • HelloKikiHelloKiki Posts: 691Registered User Member
    Backpacks. Normally Jansport, and the larger the better!
  • clemsonboclemsonbo Posts: 93Registered User Junior Member
    just get a normal backpack, preferably one with a laptop thing in it. it doesnt necessairly have to be that big because depending on how your schedule works out youll be able to go back to your room between classes.
  • jessetfanjessetfan Posts: 588Registered User Member
    I bought a messenger bag that could be converted into a backpack, I think I used it as a messenger bag for about a week, but I liked having the option. It has space for my laptop and everything I want to take with me. I'm from New England so I bought one from L.L. Bean before I left; they're great because if you do bad things to your bag, break it, drag it around all over the place, etc, they'll replace it free of charge.