Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Becoming popular in college?

jerseygirl188jerseygirl188 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
Hey,
I'm looking to become more popular and make friends in college. Currently, I go to a small religious high school, and don't have very many friends, or even a small circle of close friends. However, when I go to events like summer camp and Model UN, I end up making a good number of friends and people want to sit with me for lunch and stuff. I'd like to feel this popular when I go to college. I'm planning to go to a large state university. However, I am not used to making friends in a school-type setting, and need assistance with how to make this work.

Replies to: Becoming popular in college?

• greenteen17greenteen17 Registered User Posts: 600 Member
    Do you do anything different in school and other places you mentioned like camp? If you do, why not use your techniques from the latter?
  • mohammadmohd18mohammadmohd18 Registered User Posts: 402 Member
    I haven't actually read the entire OP, but I'm gonna say the first thing that comes to mind: Talk! With everyone! And anyone! Especially in your classes freshman year. You will feel uncomfortable and awkward talking to people you don't know, but it at least means you can add a name to a face. You have to start somewhere. Don't expect many people to walk up to you and introduce themselves to you--you need to take that initiative.

Have fun!
  • OttermaOtterma Registered User Posts: 903 Member
    Think about what it is you are doing at summer camp and Model UN that might be attracting friends: My guess -- you are being yourself and enjoying the activities. You have a natural smile on your face and you don't feel stressed about being in (or not in) a particular group. You chat easily with people about the day's activities and laugh like you never do in high school.

In these respects, college will be more like summer camp and Model UN than high school. As others have said, make the effort to join groups and engage people and you'll do great.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    Seriously? I will give you some advice that my extraordinarily popular 8th grader does naturally and honestly, the way I was too when young (and still am). DON'T CARE!
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 227 Junior Member
    continued...do what you like, be confident, be friendly but not overly, be confident, don't care, do the things you like, don't care, be confident. The less you care what others think, the more you are confident in who you are...the more others flock to you. That's really it as far as popularity is...be yourself, friendly and don't care about popularity. People are drawn to that.

• jerseygirl188jerseygirl188 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Oh wow, I did not expect one of my posts to become a featured post!! Thank you so much to everyone who responded, you all gave great advice, and I feel much more confident about college life now!!
  • 3puppies3puppies Registered User Posts: 840 Member
    At your small, religious high school, are you wearing a uniform? Perhaps at summer camp or MUN, you are wearing a more flattering outfit that makes you feel more comfortable - making your more approachable.

Think about what is different in HS vs. these experiences, and what is the same. You will be fine.
  • CourtneyThurstonCourtneyThurston Registered User Posts: 1,216 Senior Member
    Just do you and you'll find a circle of friends. Even at my small uni there are enough people here that you have to try really hard NOT to have friends.