Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Rules To Live By In College

math3maticalmath3matical Registered User Posts: 504 Member
edited February 21 in College Life
What good habits should I develop early so I do not crash and burn later on?
What advice do you wish someone had told you before you jumped willingly into the depths of college hell?

EG: Have a good organization system/folders prepared for your classes.

Replies to: Rules To Live By In College

• math3maticalmath3matical Registered User Posts: 504 Member
    edited February 21
    @WalknOnEggShells Is the converse true? If I date someone in a "harder" major will my GPA rise? :))

Also, the hole puncher idea is a good tip, thanks.
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,309 Senior Member
    Hole puncher is a good plan. I like having a wall calendar for bigger things like test dates, days off school, appointments, etc.
  • bopperbopper Registered User Posts: 6,774 Senior Member
    Also, as an adult type person, my advice is also not to get so caught up in day to day classes that you forget to take advantage of all the opportunities that your college has...be it clubs, intermural sports, volunteering, Events on campus, research, etc. etc.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 11,842 Senior Member
    The dean of arts and sciences at D's school recommended keeping a binder of just the syllabus for each class to show what the class covered, the books, the type of exams, etc, especially in case you ever transfer and need credit for the class.

Does my daughter do that? No, but I thought it was a good idea.
    @bopper I like how your index started at 0. Also, thanks for the in-depth response!
  • OhSorryYoOhSorryYo Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    Buy a mattress topper.

Get 8 hours of sleep on school days.
  • mhelaingbuhaymomhelaingbuhaymo Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    To live in college, you must srive hard, and do extra effort in every task that the teacher wants you to accomplish.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    OMG @OhSorryYo My D just texted us that she got 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep and feels better than she has in a month. The mattress topper notwithstanding (she doesn't have one), SLEEP is what your brain needs to recharge, process all the stuff you crammed in it from the day, keep you healthy, and give you the ability to just deal (annoying roommates, tough assignments, deadlines, etc.). Totally underestimated for academic success IMO. It tends to be the first thing to go. @bopper really should make it #17 on the list......
  • MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,312 Senior Member
    Don't be naive, you're a young person away from home likely for the first time. Don't let unscrupulous characters take advantage of you. That's the biggie. Don't sweat the small stuff, but don't neglect the details either. Pick your classes based on the professor not the time/building/room/etc. Exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet.
  • philbegasphilbegas Registered User Posts: 2,309 Senior Member
    Ehhhh time of class can matter too. If you're really not a night or morning person, that should factor in too @Mandalorian
  • MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,312 Senior Member
    @philbegas- that's why they invented coffee. Professor is the most important thing bar none.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,136 Senior Member
    The most important thing to do your first two years is figure out your major. Sample courses you're truly interested in, don't just sign up for random gen eds. After two years, if you still have a couple of gen eds left, that's not a huge deal. If you still don't know what you want to major in, that's a problem.
    Any advice for rooming with multiple people?