Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

What do you hate about College?

DontskipthemooseDontskipthemoose Registered User Posts: 589 Member
From expensive textbooks to lousy roommates, what do you hate about your school or college in general?

Replies to: What do you hate about College?

• SeinfeldFan1SeinfeldFan1 Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    That it's not that different from high school.
  • alwaysbored123alwaysbored123 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Trying to find parking (come from a CC with about 30K students). Oh gee thanks for finally leaving when I decide to drive away thinking that you weren't going to leave! Let's not forget to mention those petty people who have 10 min long honk wars because one stole the other's parking.
  • MandalorianMandalorian Registered User Posts: 1,340 Senior Member
    The work doesn't end at 5. memorize-and-regurgitate exams, too many buildings, the parking situation. Those were my undegrad nitpicks.
  • guineagirl96guineagirl96 Registered User Posts: 3,435 Senior Member
    Assignments being due on the weekend.
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 2,692 Senior Member
    The college bubble
  • LBad96LBad96 Registered User Posts: 3,463 Senior Member
    Fleeting/temporary people has always been a frustration of mine.
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 29,295 Super Moderator
    What I don't like for my kids is that professors rely on emails a lot and send last-minute notices. And deadlines for assignments vary a lot. Midnight one time, noon another. Doesn't seem fair.
  • SoCcErTrAcK2016SoCcErTrAcK2016 Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    Overall, I love it and am ever grateful to be there, but...

- Expensive textbooks
    - Cliques formed based solely on greek life
    - Never ending work
    - Unhealthy and bland food
    - Paying $11/meal for said food
    - Not having plusses and minuses with my school's grading system
    - Seniors leaving forever
    - Waiting 5 weeks for physics exams to be graded
    - Feeling ostracized for holding certain political beliefs
  • NewBeginnings3NewBeginnings3 Registered User Posts: 404 Member
    I would say that I hate participation grades. I am a secondary education/English major, so a lot of my classes rely on participation as part of the grade. I dislike it because it's so subjective, and it's not always easy to chime-in during class without restating what someone has already said. I feel that if I'm paying for a class, I should be able to decide whether or not I want to participate - not be forced to do it.

I also dislike the amount of stress that the semester sometimes carries. I had one week last semester where I had three papers due, and it was really overwhelming. Better planning could have helped, but hey, none of us are perfect. Sometimes, things have to be put off until the last minute because there are so many other things to do.

Also, having multiple assignments due the same day for a class is ridiculous. My professor told us that she would have our assignments graded and final grades posted by the last day of the last week of class, but she didn't post final grades until three weeks after that. If you're going to assign multiple things, you should grade them in a timely fashion. If you can't grade things in a timely fashion, then don't assign them.
  • LBad96LBad96 Registered User Posts: 3,463 Senior Member
    Adding on from that, it feels like every semester just HAS to have some certain level of frustration, doesn't it? Each college semester seemingly would be incomplete without at least some weeks of total aggravation, whether it's academic, interpersonal, or some combo of the two.