Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What is the number one challenge going to be? Take the poll.

Replies to: What is the number one challenge going to be? Take the poll.

• LongPigeonLongPigeon Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    I am pretty big on the academic stuff, so I guess I am going to have a harder time trying to finish all my hw in time, because there can be so much hw in college! T_T
  • AnyCollege'09AnyCollege'09 Registered User Posts: 113 Junior Member
    i said my family - this year's been so hard with them because i feel like i've outgrown their constant attention and concern, i want to grow up - because i can be, and when they're patronizing or condescending in any way it drives me crazy. at the same time, however, this is my last year with them and next year i'll be in california - quite far away from new york - and won't be able to come home for my sister's ballet recitals or my brother's soccer games...i don't know, i'm so torn
  • peeckopeecko Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    academics -- i'm not reminded about test dates anymore, i just have to anticipate it. if i was away from home, that would probably be the bigger shock, but i go to a school 20 minutes away.
  • usna_rejectusna_reject Registered User Posts: 1,533 Member
    social, I've never been with people like these or witness drama like this in my life.
  • ariesathenaariesathena Registered User Posts: 5,087 Senior Member
    Well, if you're going to ask what you missed... ;)

How about opening it up to college students or the recent grads who haunt around here?

Also, Quantity of work is not daunting so much as caliber - I found it hard to adjust from doing busy work (fairly easy/straightforward) to intense engineering and the different, more inductive, thought process.
  • DeviantDeviant Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    I suspect that the financial aspects are going to be harder. I haven't filed the FAFSA yet, I need to do my taxes first, and my income is only thing going on my FAFSA - my mother doesn't work. However, I receive Social Security from my father's death, but the FinAid officer told me that's not taxable and it doesn't go on my FAFSA. So with me making under $4,000 last year, technically I'm need-based, correct?

I've already been accepted to college, and my family will only be 3 hours away from me. I'm pretty used to a heavy academic load, but the next thing that I will have to adjust to is the living alone (as in not with my family) and with a room mate. I don't think that would be a challenge unless my mate is completely different from me.
  • pixiedanzerpixiedanzer Registered User Posts: 770 Member
    I'm gonna miss my friends :-(
  • repeat1982repeat1982 Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    yeah, the biggest difficulty for me (im a frosh) was being away from my friends and family...i was able to visit my family some since im close by, nbut all my friends went far away, and not being able to see them for 2 1/2 months was really tough...more than i thought it would be...also studying discipline...you ahve to be able to sit down and do it...theres a lot fo distractions...
  • DeviantDeviant Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    Discipline is a big one for a lot of people. To just sit down and study when you aren't being forced to is going to be a big change. No one to tell you when to go to bed, when to be home, when to wake up, etc.
  • El1jahEl1jah Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    I'm from small town Oklahoma, so the culture shock will be intense.
  • IlliniJBravoEchoIlliniJBravoEcho Registered User Posts: 1,110 Member
    I'm a Chem E major at U of I. My high school math and science classes were jokes. So I think everyone knows my answer.
  • JubeiJubei Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    I only wish I didn't have to worry about money and wether or not I might get financial aid. I have to start asking people about this if I ever decide to transfer somewhere far because its gonna cost like 12k a year for some far away state colleges.
  • celebrian25celebrian25 Registered User Posts: 15,373 Senior Member
    I wish I was smart like everyone on this site and I could win some really prestigous scholarship, but that won't happen :) I just have to hope winning a whole bunch of tiny scholarships will add up
  • rockettgerl22rockettgerl22 Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    I have to say tha ti'm finally extremely grateful for the fact that my mom has had absolutely no role in my education (she doesnt even know what "ap" and "sat" mean /are) or my sleeping /homework habits so i've had to develop discipline in those matters already instead of having it be an issu at college , which otherwise i would imagine would be a genuine concern
  • ottothecowottothecow Registered User Posts: 1,042 Senior Member
    I agree with rockettgerl.

I have always been able to do these things myself (although she knows what they mean). I do my homework when I feel like it (although I still procrastinate my ass off) and I think that next year it will be a good thing that I learned to do it without forced motivation.