Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

philosophy.. hard?

xjenephaxxjenephax Posts: 14Registered User New Member
edited June 2007 in College Life
okay.. so i'm deciding on taking philosophy as my major~
and i was wondering if it's really hard?
because i just want to major in something i'm going to get straight A's in (because i want to go to law school.. and law schools don't care what you major in as long as you get straight A's)

i'm a writer type of person.. i hate math & science
so is philosophy a good major?

(oh.. i'm going to uci this fall.. so if that matters.. i think majors are different in various colleges?)
Post edited by xjenephax on

Replies to: philosophy.. hard?

• ozymozym Posts: 296Registered User Junior Member
  • Fides et RatioFides et Ratio Posts: 902Registered User Member
    Philosophy is a great field of study, a cornerstone (along with Classics) of the classical liberal arts education, and excellent preparation for law school (law schools like philosophy majors). Is it easy? No. But it is probably the most intellectually rewarding major a student could undertake. If you're into philosophy, you will have fun with it.
  • xjenephaxxjenephax Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    thanks~
    err.. i just spent the last 40 mins. just reading up on philosophy as a major and english as a major
    i think i'm gonna go w/ english~
    i have no idea why i overlooked that major.. haha
  • OptimusPrimeOptimusPrime Posts: 336Registered User Member
    I hear some classes in philosophy -- particularly the logic type stuff -- are great for the LSAT, though. Something to consider.
    honestly xjenephax, from what my friends have told me about law school you need strategy.

law schools do not require prior knowledge like med school (LSAT is largely logic games - engineering students do well on LSAT) and law schools are open to all majors, as every major can probably contribute something to the law field. if you want a top law school, do well in all your classes.

the most important two factors are LSAT and GPA, you need those before they'll even glance at your reccs.

optimus is right though, some philosophy classes are probably excellent for law. i'd be sure to try to take one or two of those
  • cavalier302cavalier302 Posts: 4,343Registered User Senior Member
    The two most important factors in law school admissions are GPA and LSAT. Why don't you try classes in the areas that interest you and then make a decision? Hell, you could even double major. Study something you love and do well in it.
  • forgivenforgiven Posts: 1,690Registered User Senior Member
    "because i just want to major in something i'm going to get straight A's in"

what a great attitude and start to college.
    Double majors dont help you for law school, but hey, if you love what you're doing. go for it.
  • Mi_LieMi_Lie Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    I actually thought about this a few days ago - if Engineering students do well on the LSAT, does that mean someone who does "poorly" in math can do well on it too?

What I mean is, can the LSAT be difficult for "right-brained" people?
  • lasfloreslasflores Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    People aren't "right-brained" or "left-brained".
  • Drew00Drew00 Posts: 2,964Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, Philosophy is hard.
  • TheCaliforniaLifeTheCaliforniaLife Posts: 488Registered User Member
    lasflores,

Really? I always thought that right-brained and left-brained was actual termonology for the functioning of the mind. Each person uses their brain hemispheres differently. This accounts for learning differences. Some people have strong neurotransmitter connectivity in one hemisphere rather than the other. When their brain was in development as a newborn certain neurotransmitters and receptors recieved great levels or stimulations which caused myelin to form around the neurons. Left-brained people are proficent in logical and analytical type situtations rather than right-brained people who are more creative and intuative.
  • Fides et RatioFides et Ratio Posts: 902Registered User Member
    Philosophy forces you to use both sides.
    Mi_Lie, from what I heard the LSAT is like the SAT in the terms that you can prepare for it and get a respectable score as long as you want to do it. If you struggle with analytical thinking and problem solving, it will be harder but those are useful skills to have.
  • drusbadrusba Posts: 7,891Registered User Senior Member
    If you want to know whether you will find philosophy easy, go to the library and get a book called Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre. If you can get through it and understand it, you will find philosophy easy.