Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

A Stupid Question: How to use a laptop lock..

mizeramizera Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2006 in College Life
I have a Dell Inspiron and I bought a Targus notebook security combo cable lock. Where do I plug this thin into??

Please help me..?
Post edited by mizera on

Replies to: A Stupid Question: How to use a laptop lock..

• somebodynewsomebodynew Posts: 2,895Registered User Senior Member
    Look on the side or back of your laptop for a small oval hole with a lock symbol next to it. That's where the lock goes in.
  • gemstar66gemstar66 Posts: 766Registered User Member
    and wrap the cord around a bar below your desk or a desk leg (either way loop it around something, otherwise it serves no purpose).
  • mizeramizera Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    thank you. i got it!!
  • LaptopLoverLaptopLover Posts: 287Registered User Junior Member
    make sure you change the combination from the default 0000 :p
  • katho11katho11 Posts: 1,533Registered User Senior Member
    My dorm desks have nowhere for the loop to go around...so yeah...totally useless in my case.

I'm really hoping that theft is not a problem in my dorm...and that my roommate is as paranoid about locking the door as I am.
  • JennyJenny Posts: 127Registered User Junior Member
    i have a dell inspiron E1405 and i don't see a small oval hole with a lock symbol next to it anywhere
  • red06red06 Posts: 1,532Registered User Senior Member
    there should be a hole somewhere on it. just stick the lock into any hole you see and see where it pops in.
  • red06red06 Posts: 1,532Registered User Senior Member
    in my e1505 its right next to my cd drive. or so i think. i havent opened my targus yet.
  • vtoodlervtoodler Posts: 2,111Registered User Senior Member
    How much do laptop locks usually cost anyways?
  • somebodynewsomebodynew Posts: 2,895Registered User Senior Member
    $20-30 at Staples or Office Depot
  • LaptopLoverLaptopLover Posts: 287Registered User Junior Member
    standard lock costs 20-30 like somebodynew said. If you want a heavy duty armor-grade lock you're gonna have to shovel upwards of 40-50 bucks
  • flgirl04flgirl04 Posts: 477Registered User Member
    if your desk doesnt have a place to put it onto, then get a cinderblock or seomthing and attach it to that. You really just want to slow someone down from taking your laptop in that case. or get a longer cable and attach it to the bed or something
  • PA MomPA Mom Posts: 975Registered User Member
    Circuit City has locks on sale for $9.99 right now.( after rebate) Friends tell us they use them mostly in the library rather than the dorm ( like when you need to go find a book or use the restroom and don't want to drag your laptop along).
  • jbuscjbusc Posts: 2,252Registered User Senior Member
    I always like to just mention every time someone mentions laptop locks, they're only good to prevent casual theft; i.e., someone picking up your stuff as they walk by while you're not looking.

With a few common tools and 5 minutes they don't hold up at all. They serve a useful purpose, and do well at that, but you don't want to totally rely on them to prevent theft.
  • katho11katho11 Posts: 1,533Registered User Senior Member
    For those with Inspirons, look on the bottom of your laptop. I have a lock symbol about an inch up and left of the center...not sure if that's the right thing since I've never seen the locks (and frankly have no idea why that would be on the bottom), but it has the symbol and a small hole.