Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What are some easy college classes?

jaso9n2jaso9n2 Posts: 856Registered User Member
edited April 2010 in College Life
What are some relatively easy college courses to take? I know it varies from college to college, but I attend a big public university in Georgia (Georgia State, to be exact) and I'd like to know what courses tend to be pretty easy as a course (disregarding picking the right professor). I'd like to boost my GPA.

Any suggestions?
Post edited by jaso9n2 on

Replies to: What are some easy college classes?

• TestudotheTurtleTestudotheTurtle Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    My first advice would have to be to talk to someone who goes to your school. And yes, the prof does matter a ton it seems. Just befriend an upper classmen and ask for advice. They will most likely be willing.
  • liek0806liek0806 Posts: 3,316Registered User Senior Member
    yeah a lot of it depends on the professor. they can make it a whole lot time consuming(homework wise) than it needs to. the same with the way they grade including tests and what not,.
  • stonecold23stonecold23 Posts: 1,595Registered User Senior Member
    intro to language courses are usually very very basic and easy (spanish 101 etc)
  • Mrs. FergusonMrs. Ferguson Posts: 723Registered User Member
    I agree that your best bet is to ask students for easy courses they have taken themselves. But there are other ways you can narrow down the catalog to the classes that are most likely to be easy. This, of course, varies from school to school, and there are exceptions, but in general you want to look for these signs:
    -low course number
    -no prerequisites, consent of instructor not required
    -"Intro to" or "Survey of"
    -Courses intended for students not majoring in the subject. Note that in many departments there will be two introductory courses: one for majors and one for non-majors. The one for non-majors will usually be lower-numbered. Typical course titles might be "Intro to Whatever" or "Basic Whatever" for non-majors and "Whatever I" or "General Whatever" for majors.
    -"Whatever and Society" -- at some schools, these are all REALLY easy courses. Or there might be some other phrase found in many course titles that marks them as really easy.

And of course it all depends on which subjects are your best. An introductory public speaking course might be laughably easy for a student who did debate in high school but a nightmare for someone else. Just looking through the Georgia State course catalog, these are the courses I would choose as the most likely suspects:

New Student Orientation
    Music, Society, and Culture
    Media, Culture, and Society
    Survey of Art
    Jazz: Its Origins, Styles, and Influence
    Computers & Applications
    Intro to Computer Programming for Non-Majors--if you have some programming or other related experience or are good at that sort of thing
    Intro to General Psychology
    Introduction to Human Geography
    Introduction to the Universe--if you're good at math and science
    Chemistry for Citizens
    The Global Economy
    History of Motion Pictures
    Geologic Resources & Environment
    Concepts of Earth Science
    Intro to World Religions
    Intro to the Theatre
    Intro to Women's Studies
    History of News Media
    Film and Literature
  • quirkilyquirkily Posts: 1,061Registered User Senior Member
    Almost anything intended solely for nonmajors will be easy.
    At my school, for instance, there are courses nicknamed "Rocks for Jocks" and "Physics for Poets", both of which are absurdly easy. There's a course at Cal that I saw called "Physics for Future Presidents" or something that was really easy.

It varies by school, of course, and as mentioned above, it's probably best to ask current students.
  • StrykurStrykur Posts: 1,759Registered User Senior Member
    Anything in communications. Berkeley has a huge elective program, and Physics for Future Presidents is boss.
  • merlinjonesmerlinjones Posts: 807- Member
    Yeah, for electives you can take like maybe one 'Intro to Something Easy 101'

Sometimes the classes you have to take before an upper divison humanities requirement or whathaveyou can be pretty easy. You know, like, 'Intro to American History from some year to some year'. Or, Philosophy 101.

Just balance things out OP.

You could go to ratemyprofessor.com. But, take those ratings with a grain of salt.
  • KarmaFairyKarmaFairy Posts: 165Registered User Junior Member
    I would definitely not recommend taking an introductory langauge course for an easy A. You should be able to earn an A, but language courses tend to require large amounts of time for learning vocabulary, doing assignments, etc. There simply isn't enough time to go over everything in class, so you end up spending a lot of outside time to prepare for conversations, etc.

Fun cool classes that I took were Principles of Sociology and Environmental Conservation. I'm taking Intro to Anthropology next semester and looking forward to it...unfortunately, at my school, I'll still have to write an incredible amount for this 100 level class.
    Oh, I forgot: courses that fulfill gen ed requirements are usually easy, too.

Just make sure you consider the subjects you like and are good at AND the kind of work you consider easy. Intro to Philosophy is easy, but it's a lot of reading and writing responses to what you read, which can be a pain if you don't like that kind of thing no matter how easy it is to BS your way through it. If you'd prefer listening to lectures and getting graded mainly on multiple-choice tests, you might go for one of the science courses for non-majors.

Looked like some of those courses on the list above are lecture, discussion, and film-viewing courses, which might have a couple two-page essays or something--doesn't get any easier than that.
  • FerstAmmendmentFerstAmmendment Posts: 969. Member
    Really depends on your school...at my school, all the basic gen ed creds, and those will a low course number are pretty ****ing hard. They're all the weed out classes, so just talk to some students and see what they took and what was easy
    I'm with KarmaFairy on the language courses. In a lot of those, the instructor doesn't say ANYTHING in English, so you could be totally lost for weeks. If you have a knack for languages, though, Latin can be really easy, because in most courses you don't have to speak it.
  • flgirl04flgirl04 Posts: 477Registered User Member
    be careful about some 'nonmajor' courses. At our school, the non-major math and physics classes are actually more difficult than the basic physics 101 class that can be used by starting majors.

Definately find out about the professor, but keep in mind that what you like in a professor may vary from someone else. Ask questions like "is the professor fair" do they give coherent lectures, etc. Try to find a student of your academic calibur and ask them.
  • hokegoaliehokegoalie Posts: 976- Junior Member
    -"Whatever and Society" -- at some schools, these are all REALLY easy courses. Or there might be some other phrase found in many course titles that marks them as really easy.

Hell yea. Baseball and American Society was the best course I took last semester.
  • jaso9n2jaso9n2 Posts: 856Registered User Member
    Thanks so much, you guys. A special thanks to you Mrs. Ferguson. Can't believe you went and looked at the course catalog for me. I appreciate it (check your PMs).
  • TrueFactsTrueFacts Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Notre Dame College of Manchester NH graduated many with Bachelors degrees Summa Cum Laude in one year!!! Forget all the prerequisites, scheduling conflicts, and paying for 4 years of classes in 1 year. These poor nuns had higher callings. NH closed them.