Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Easiest majors?

jonathan06jonathan06 Posts: 253Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2009 in College Life
What are the easiest majors, and the hardest. I am taking biochemistry right now. Where would this rank in the spectrum? I know it depends on your college but assume an average college.
Post edited by jonathan06 on

Replies to: Easiest majors?

• VTjas81VTjas81 Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
    Depends what you mean by hardest or easiest. Do you mean in terms of workload or difficulty in understanding the subject? In terms of subject difficulty(intelligence required not creativity) ,in general, I would say..

Quantitative majors harder than qualitative

Problem solving harder than rote memorization

Objective harder than subjective

My gf was a biochem major. She said it is harder than biology because of the mechanisms she had to learn. Therefore I would place it above biology but below physics, math, and engineering because the lack of problem solving required.
  • ndcountrygirlndcountrygirl Posts: 210Registered User Junior Member
    Biochem is pretty high up there, i'd rank it about the same as physics or math but below engineering. You get so in depth in chemistry and biology knowledge plus all the lab classes you have. Many schools require you to take one or two calculus classes as well as the sciences for biochem.
  • yrey.comyrey.com Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I think that is a very subjective question, however generally math and sciences tend to be a little harder.
  • klf1120klf1120 Posts: 579Registered User Member
    Depends on what you consider easy. For me, anything that is a social science or humanities is easy and I can excel at. On the other hand, anything math or natural science is difficult.

So, some people would say that my major Political Science is easy. I wouldn't go that far though. It's easy for me because I love Politics, but there are aspects that make it hard such as political theories. For other people, it would be difficult if they hate politics and such.

It's really a personal view in my opinion.
  • dukeclassof09dukeclassof09 Posts: 477Registered User Member
    Sociology is known as one of the easier ones.
  • CUlater21CUlater21 Posts: 161Registered User Junior Member
    The answer to this question depends entirely on the individual.

For me, math/science is A LOT easier than any humanities class... but I gather that a lot of people are the complete opposite. I'd also probably flunk out of art school because I'm not creative.
  • oxypunk151oxypunk151 Posts: 372Registered User Member
    sociology iv herd coined as the mickey mouse major.
  • luvietluviet Posts: 97Registered User Junior Member
    sociology, communications, most majors that end with the word "studies" (i.e liberal studies), and psychology are generally considered easy majors where i'm from
  • kaitylinkaitylin Posts: 427Registered User Member
    id say communications. Or speech (if you arent afraid of public speaking).
  • smurfgirlsmurfgirl Posts: 1,108- Member
    just out of curiosity, why would psychology be considered an easy major? Is it because there's no hard math involved?

A lot of people think it's something that you can memorize and spit back at the prof, but in reality, it's more conceptual. I've talked to plenty of psych majors and they have to read statistics...
  • dukeclassof09dukeclassof09 Posts: 477Registered User Member
    I agree with the comment about psychology - even if it's not using calculus and other math, there are still a lot of scientific (and non-scientific) concepts that you need to understand in order to do well. Many people find psychology classes/tests challenging relative to some other majors.
  • kinglinkinglin Posts: 2,296Registered User Senior Member
    Sociology is what all of the football players here take.
  • jordanjordanjordanjordan Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    Many people would be surprised to find out that art majors have scads of work. After MIT, RISD is rated as having the second hardest freshman workload. Art majors have to spend hours and hours in the studio, music majors have to practice for hours and hours, etc., etc.
    Furthermore, I often see engineers struggling in required liberal arts classes. It depends on what kind of person you are. Quantitative majors may be harder if you're more of a liberal-arts oriented person, but the reverse is often true as well.
    You cannot say that one kind of intelligence is superior to another.
  • DranakinDranakin Posts: 422Registered User Member
    VTjas81: I don't agree with your last point. I think majors that require subjective over objective work is harder. In the former, you actually have to come up with your own interpretation, while in the latter, you just have to find the solution out there that you already know exists. Simplified, I know, but you get the point.

I realize some people will argue that if work is subjective, you can basically justify any BS work, but I disagree. Any professor worth their salt will be able to tell the difference.
  • VTjas81VTjas81 Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
    -jordanjordan

Yes you can tell who is more intelligent of the bunch. Give everyone a culture-fair IQ test and we can see which group on average is smarter. And don't tell me they don't measure intelligence because they do.

Dranakin-

In a subjective topic you might not need to even do the readings to support your claim. You can draw from previous classes and experience to justify your answer. In a major such as engineering you either know how to solve it or you don't. Unless your a genius it's hard to solve a problem without actually knowing the formula and derivation to use. You actually need to workout the problem before hand to understand it.