Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Clubs-Resume?

rolen27rolen27 Posts: 360Registered User Member
edited December 2006 in College Life
What kind of member do you have to be in a club to put it on your resume? How frequent do you have to go to the meetings if the club has no official membership?
Post edited by rolen27 on

Replies to: Clubs-Resume?

• apumicapumic Posts: 1,529Registered User Senior Member
    A job resume or a college resume and/or application?
    For a job resume, don't put your clubs down unless they were honors-based (i.e., NHS)--otherwise, it looks tacky and could actually hurt you (that was actually something I was told to look for when considering applicants for student employment when I supervised a selection process for a competitive position this last year).
    For collegiate resumes, it's most on-your-honor, but the more involved you appear to be the better it looks!
  • fendergirlfendergirl Posts: 4,647Registered User Senior Member
    it depends on the club. if you're in like a habitat for humanity or some other community service based club or an honors type of thing, list it. if you're in anime club or something it probably won't make a difference. i also left college democrats (club) off mine because i don't want them to hold that against me during interviewing.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Posts: 6,630Registered User Senior Member
    if you think it adds something to your resume, include it.

If you were in the "we hang out and watch movies club" that won't help. But if you were in the "we hang out and watch movies club" and are responsible for organizing any trips that the club goes on, and how the funds will be spent, then that might be worthwhile.
  • ndcountrygirlndcountrygirl Posts: 210Registered User Junior Member
    If you're a leader of a club, defintely put it on your resume as it shows you are responsible enough to organize and plan events and work with budgets, and that you took on more in college than just study and work.