Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Amazon--the best place to buy books

vtoodlervtoodler Posts: 2,111Registered User Senior Member
edited January 2007 in College Life
I just bought some books really cheap off Amazon, and I happen to think that it's one of the best places to buy books if you're sure about a class. It's a lot cheaper than the bookstore and very convient to sell books there also.

What do you guys think of buying books off Amazon?
Post edited by vtoodler on

Replies to: Amazon--the best place to buy books

• somebodynewsomebodynew Posts: 2,895Registered User Senior Member
    I've been buying books off the internet since freshman year of high school. It's awesome, but make sure you compare prices to half.com and abebooks.com too--sometimes you can get an even better deal there than at Amazon.
  • Thomas_Thomas_ Posts: 629Registered User Member
    Yeah, I usually buy all my books on Amazon or other online bookstores too. Sometimes eBay is even cheaper though.
  • GregoryMitchellGregoryMitchell Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
    How do you find out what books you need? I go to UCONN and I went to the bookstore and they refused to tell me. I then went to the registrar and bursar and both told me to see the bookstore! I have tried emailing the professors but none have responded.
  • juba2jivejuba2jive Posts: 1,001Registered User Member
    This semester, I tried emailing my professors, and all but one have emailed me back. But I've also gone to the bookstore a few days before class starts, when textbook sales start. Then I write down the ISBN number of the books for my classes and go buy them on Amazon.
  • vtoodlervtoodler Posts: 2,111Registered User Senior Member
    you should find out on the bkstr website.

Have you guys also tried selling books on Amazon? It's good.
  • gemstar66gemstar66 Posts: 766Registered User Member
    Will people even buy books from you on amazon if you have no feedback? I'm trying to sell two books there, but I feel like people will overlook my sales since I'm not an established seller or anything.
  • __allie____allie__ Posts: 3,066Registered User Senior Member
    half.com

generally waaay cheaper than amazon.
  • nspedsnspeds Posts: 5,382- Senior Member
    I use alibris and amazon.com market place.
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,154Super Moderator Senior Member
    Haha, gemstar, do you yourself buy from people with no feedback? I sure do, if they have the lowest price.

I've sold 10 or 12 books on Amazon now, and they sold pretty quickly even when I didn't have any feedback. Pricing them low seems to do the trick. ;)

For those who are buying books, you might want to check out bigwords.com -- it's a book price search engine, and they'll compare the prices of all your books at lots of different internet sites for you. They'll also come up with the cheapest plan overall and the cheapest single site price.
  • sydney_bristow87sydney_bristow87 Posts: 1,199Registered User Member
    campusi.com - compares prices between various online book selling sites (i.e. amazon, ebay, and half)
    if you have some sort of book trade group established at your school, that's the best way to go... we have a facebook group, and it's awesome... cheaper prices than half/amazon/ebay, and no shipping hassles... downside is that you probably won't be able to find all of your books... it's helpful though.
  • gemstar66gemstar66 Posts: 766Registered User Member
    Haha, gemstar, do you yourself buy from people with no feedback? I sure do, if they have the lowest price.

omg you were so right mollie! I put a calc book up today for 1$ below the lowest price, and someone already bought it!
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit Posts: 12,154Super Moderator Senior Member
    People are cheap. :D
  • ecnerwalc3321ecnerwalc3321 Posts: 2,065Registered User Senior Member
    gregorymitchell,

yeah, bookstores don't tell you stuff like that. email your professors, they will tell you. ask for edition, or better yet, isbn. I ususally ask around and keep my eyes peeled around the bookstore and note what books are used. the cover of the book is easily remembered so when the time comes that I need to use it, I just go to amazon compare the covers, make sure it's the right edition and buy it. (This really only works if you know that you are taking a specific class in the future. For engineering, the book doesn't change all that often)
  • steeveesteevee Posts: 828Registered User Member
    eBay is just as good, if not better. I bought two books for $17 + $23 + $20 shipping on eBay when it would've costed me $75 + $50 + $25-$30 shipping. The prices are in USD btw.
  • vtoodlervtoodler Posts: 2,111Registered User Senior Member
    But I heard that the shipping costs on half.com is very expensive.