Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Fights in college

laserprecisionlaserprecision Posts: 497Registered User Member
edited March 2007 in College Life
A few friends and I recently got into a full-fledged fight with some guys we weren't fond of at one of our recent parties. The campus police came, but thankfully everyone who was hurt had already left/gone to the hospital so they didn't see anything. No one is pressing charges. My question is, since they did see our student id's, are they obligated to report it to the actual school? (especially if it occurs again in the future?)
Post edited by laserprecision on

Replies to: Fights in college

• GatorEng23GatorEng23 Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe. What exactly happened? To what extent were the injuries? And what do you mean by "especially if it occurs again"? :) Lol, I hope you won't get into another confrontation.
  • laserprecisionlaserprecision Posts: 497Registered User Member
    Someone went to the hospital with a shattered cheekbone. I hate to admit it but it's one of those ongoing things that's bound to boil over again. We're all college students and we just want to handle our personal issues without having our school situation affected, which is why no one is really giving too much info to the campus cops.
  • apumicapumic Posts: 1,529Registered User Senior Member
    If your student IDs were taken down, then yes, it has almost surely been documented and is now in your file. If you signed any forms, it is likely to have been filed as some sort of displinary warning, but you should check your school's student handbook for more information on the process for that.
    Often, campus police will also simply write up an incident report to keep in your file in case there are further infractions later on for them to bring up as a way of saying "you can't argue you were innocent--you have a history of this kind of behavior!"
    Still, every school is different, so you should check with your student handbook and/or a faculty/staff member (or an RA if you know one that's not up-tight about that kind of stuff)
  • BIGTWIXBIGTWIX Posts: 2,440Registered User Senior Member
    at least it was his cheeckbone...

ummm
    did they know u were i the fight, or what?

can u get legitimate witnesses that can testify to them starting the fight...
    unless if u did,
    then i dunno what could be done
  • jaso9n2jaso9n2 Posts: 856Registered User Member
    I hate guys. They're so stupid sometimes. In the midst of a pending fight, they're all for it. Then when you ask them about the specifics, they give you these beat-around-the-bush answers, "well, see, these guys who we didn't like and my friends got into an altercation because we, as students, need to deal with our personal problems."

Pfft, whatever, you EST guy.
    They asked for our student IDs but they gave them right back. There were no 'witnesses' per se because everyone just said they didn't see anything (it wasn't in a public street or anything). We didn't call the cops, some neighbors did just from the commotion. I don't live in the dorms anymore, thankfully.

I guess we got off pretty scot-free then?
    jaso9n2: We fight because we have a rivalry, simple as that. This is just the first time the campus cops have come while we were still in the area.

BIGTWIX: the cheekbone is pretty bad...I'd rather get socked in the eye than have my cheek cracked
  • jags861jags861 Posts: 1,716Registered User Senior Member
    ABF - Always Be Fighting
  • GatorEng23GatorEng23 Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    I hate guys. They're so stupid sometimes. In the midst of a pending fight, they're all for it. Then when you ask them about the specifics, they give you these beat-around-the-bush answers, "well, see, these guys who we didn't like and my friends got into an altercation because we, as students, need to deal with our personal problems."

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

BTW: laserprecision, they prolly took some notes on the incident for their record. So you can bet that if you get in another fight, they will most definitely report it. You may have gotten away with it this time, but be careful in the future. Also, what school do you go to? One of the UC's?
    Yeah one of the UC's. The cops here aren't that bad, all things considered. I think officially it was recorded as a noise complaint, since that's what the neighbor initially called in about.
  • oliveroliver Posts: 368Registered User Member
    It depends - you'd all be suspended for a minimum of a semester at my college.

And honestly, if it's something that you think will boil over again, y'all probably should be suspended.
  • jaso9n2jaso9n2 Posts: 856Registered User Member
    I hate guys. They're so stupid sometimes.
    We fight because we have a rivalry, simple as that.

Heh. Okay.
    "And honestly, if it's something that you think will boil over again, y'all probably should be suspended."

Why? It doesn't affect my schoolwork, and our house isn't owned by the school.
  • danfromcanadadanfromcanada Posts: 152Registered User Junior Member
    IBF: Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    *** is IBF...you mean IBS?