Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do college students qualify for welfare?

SoCalkid8807SoCalkid8807 Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2007 in College Life
If I ever needed money and I can't work a lot of hours, is it possible for a single college student to get welfare money in any shape or form?

I don't know a lot about how the American welfare system works. Can anyone help? Thanks!
Post edited by SoCalkid8807 on

Replies to: Do college students qualify for welfare?

• 43212344321234 Posts: 926Registered User Member
    you can probably get loans or FA. don't know about welfare. doesn't that usually apply to families..
  • URichmond2010URichmond2010 Posts: 737Registered User Member
    Are you still dependent upon your parents?
  • SoCalkid8807SoCalkid8807 Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    I am still dependent upon my parents.

I meant money beyond loans and FA, which I already recieve. The money will be used for expenses outside of tuition.
  • punkdudeuspunkdudeus Posts: 1,226. Senior Member
    if you're dependent on your parents then no.
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Posts: 6,674Registered User Senior Member
    as punkdedues said... the answer is 'no'
  • undecidedundecided Posts: 2,029Registered User Senior Member
    Financial aid itself is supposed to be a form of "welfare" -- after all, through federal assistance (in the form of loans as well as grants) and other monies (from your parents, from the school itself, scholarships, etc.) you are "given" the money necessary to live and attend school full-time.

Expenses outside of tuition are still included in the COA for which financial aid is figured. If you go above and beyond that? Well, then you should get a job.
  • noctnoct Posts: 194Registered User Junior Member
    As someone mentioned above, if you're still a dependent, then absolutely not.

It is quite difficult to qualify for welfare even if you are independent. The details are way too complex to get into here.

There is a lifetime limit on the amount of welfare you are allowed to receive. After several years in college, if you ever needed to be on welfare, then you would not be eligible.

Also, you would need to be actively seeking employment to qualify for welfare, which would be pretty hard to do seeing as there are usually many jobs available to students. As undecided said, get a job!
  • SilverCloverSilverClover Posts: 709Registered User Member
    What if your parents are on welfare?

Mine aren't, but they should be and would qualify if they could drop their pride and admit they needed help. My grandfather was helping me out with spending money, but now he's paying my medical bills which are pricey and also prohibit me from working (I do, but the only job I could get that would be flexible with my illnesses is 4 hours a week) and loaning me money to cover tuition that is not covered by my scholarship, he can't give me any more to cover necessary things like vitamins, train/subway costs, plane costs, or food not covered by the meal plan (since I can't eat the vast majority of things on the meal plan).

So yeah, I'm basically screwed. :P
  • constantIllusionconstantIllusion Posts: 210Registered User Junior Member
    This depends on which state you live in, but in NYS, you are not eligible for cash assistance(welfare) if you are being claimed as a dependent by one or both of your parents. Even if you were independent, you would have to be employed and work at least 20 hours per week (while in school) every week of the year in order to qualify. Plus you must provide proofs of income, address, residence, resources, etc., go through a rigorous application and screening process.The same goes for food stamps. If you're approved, you would then have to go on mandatory job searches and training whether you have class or not. Now as for Medicaid, the employment and dependency requirements don't apply.
    To add to what constantIllusion said, employment and dependency requirements don't apply to SSDI either.
  • bjs_7bjs_7 Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    I don't like having my tax $ go towards people that don't want to/"can't" work! Sorry if that's harsh

In my estimation, about a third of people that get welfare actually deserve it
  • punkdudeuspunkdudeus Posts: 1,226. Senior Member
    ^^that's because your estimations are based on greed and a false notion of your importance as an individual.
    taxes are an investment in the future. welfare is a safety net that everyone deserves. We're part of a society, we're all connected and none of us are truly individuals. Are there problems and mistakes? yes, we're humans, but it's worth trying to help each other out and provide a place for our collective identities and collective prosperity.
    bjs_7:
    Maybe you missed the welfare reform that occurred during Clinton's administration. Welfare is not what it used to be. It is very difficult to qualify for welfare these days. I'd say most actually need welfare...
  • bjs_7bjs_7 Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    Clinton "reforming" welfare; you've gotta be kidding me! We're still living down some sour effects of Clinton's economic genius. Someone once told me that you aren't able to see much of a President's legacy until the next person takes office. I think that applies here, at least partially anyway.

To punkdudeus: I'm not a greedy person. I see how you could be led to believe that from my previous comment however. I too believe that we should collectively pick up other citizens that are down. Conversely, I have a problem with people that stay on welfare for years (or as long as possible) because of their overall laziness. Yes, believe it or not, there is a small percentage of our population that has children to be able to collect more government aid. I believe the system is a little too corrupted. For example, people can abuse food stamps to buy basically anything. How do we fix it? Your guess is as good as mine.

The OP came with a sincere question, and I hijacked the thread a little with my comments. I apologize for that.

From what I've read on CC, you seem like a great guy, and a fun person to hang out with, but I really believe that we would agree on very few political issues. I'll just drop it and once again say sorry if my original comment appeared crass to the OP.

I hope this clarifies my opinions. And, no, I don't think college students should be elgible for welfare except for in very extreme situations. Sorry if I led the thread even more of course, but I wanted to at least present my reasoning.
  • chaoseschaoses Posts: 1,039Registered User Member
    college students shouldn't get welfare, but they have scholarships + loans.
    Someone once told me that you aren't able to see much of a President's legacy until the next person takes office. I think that applies here, at least partially anyway.

that's good! I'd like to see what happens after 2008 :D