Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Anyone else feel lonely?

das8929das8929 Posts: 133Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2008 in College Life
I don't know. Last semester, I was never in my dorm. I was constantly hanging out with this group of people in another hall. I thought it was fun. But then I realized how much I cannot stand being around them anymore. They do absolutely nothing but play boardgames or videogames. They refuse to go out. I feel like I have lost my connection with them. So now I am mostly alone, either chillin in my dorm or wandering around. There are other people that I like to go out with, but they are all gone this weekend. I feel like I don't have a true friend I can just hang out with and talk to. I just want to go home. I have a group of high school friends there that I used to do everything with. I just can't wait to be with them. We love to party and go out. The friends I have here mainly do not. I feel like I am wasting my life here. Sorry for the long rant, I was just wondering if there were any other people here that really didn't like the people they were "friends" with.
Post edited by das8929 on

Replies to: Anyone else feel lonely?

• darvitdarvit Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    Sometimes I feel the same way. I do have people I can just chill and talk to, and have good conversations with. But I don't know, sometimes I just think about how I don't really like them that much (more of my problem, not theirs) maybe just because I tend to compare them with my high school friends. Like I look back on HS and I have a mental picture of my group of friends, and we were a great group. Here, I don't have a "group", and the people I hang out with the most I can't imagine looking back on college and thinking, these were my college friends. Also, there are some people I like better than the people I do hang out with the most but I don't see them very much (different friends, they live in a further dorm, etc).
  • kikib1028kikib1028 Posts: 1,989Registered User Member
    Awww, thats so sad :(! I wish I could really help you. I am only in high school but recently have been drifting away from my friends as well. I am 100% sure you are not wasting your life, though. When you are out in the real world, you def. will not regret going there.
  • LuminaireLuminaire Posts: 293- Junior Member
    sounds like you need to either study more or join a frat.
  • kikib1028kikib1028 Posts: 1,989Registered User Member
    ^Joining a frat would probably be a good idea...
  • OleWannabe88OleWannabe88 Posts: 122Registered User Junior Member
    I'm in a very similar situation. I'm involved in several clubs and organizations, so I socialize with people during the week, but when the weekend rolls around I spend a lot of time studying/hanging out with a small number of people.
    Part of my problem is that A) I'm quieter, and it takes me longer to form close connections with people and B) I spent freshman year (I'm a sophomore now) with two "best friends" who were actually dating each other, and the girl and I had a falling out three weeks before school ended last spring. There wasn't much time at that point to form a solid group, and first semester this year I was so stressed out that I didn't socialize much at all.
    I love the school and the orgs I'm in, so wouldn't consider transferring, but I had that fantasy of finding a solid group when I went to college which didn't happen. It's also a small LAC, so know frats/sororities to join, otherwise I'd totally consider it.
  • das8929das8929 Posts: 133Registered User Junior Member
    Yea, I think I might join a frat next semester. The only thing is I just percieve them as *******s. Not sure why, it just seems they have this holier than thou attitude. Perhaps this is just a few frats, though.
  • protonproton Posts: 1,021Registered User Senior Member
    judging from what i've been reading on these boards for a few years, this seems like a common problem

maybe it is just part of the so-called "human condition"
  • bannana_girlbannana_girl Posts: 1,093Registered User Member
    dont worry..this seems like the time of year to have this kind of sentinment

it will all be al right!
  • maggie4139maggie4139 Posts: 33Registered User Junior Member
    I know exactly how u feel, sometimes I just feel that I want that one "friend" whom I can talk to about anything and not have to worry about what I say or how I act. I dont know, sometimes its as if people around me are fake. I dont remember the last time where I was just being myself, most times, Ive noticed that Ive changed the way I am just to fit, and I dont really like that.
  • iljets10iljets10 Posts: 541Registered User Member
    I felt fairly lonely during the first semester; I met a good number of people at first but then stopped meeting people after awhile. Now that I've gotten involved in a small club that meets for 2 1/2 hours a week, I've met a whole group of people that I am able to hang out with and get close to.

I haven't really changed at all since I got to college in an attempt to meet new people and fit in. I've become a lot more outgoing, but that's definitely something that I wanted to change about myself for college anyway.