Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How hard is it to maintain a 4.0 gpa as compared to high school?

friedricefriedrice Posts: 1,279Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2011 in College Life
In most high schools, as long as you work hard, a 4.0 is a practically given. Is this the same for most colleges?
Post edited by friedrice on

Replies to: How hard is it to maintain a 4.0 gpa as compared to high school?

• alipes07alipes07 Posts: 545Registered User Member
    it is extremely rare that you maintain a 4.0 exactly past freshman year. It's not too unusual to finish your first semester w/ a 4.0. But after that things start to kick in-harder classes, more time w/ friends, jobs, etc.
  • ticklemepinkticklemepink Posts: 2,764Registered User Senior Member
    Pretty tough. People do get 3.8s and 3.9s but a 4.0 is very rare.
  • Sheed30Sheed30 Posts: 12,425Registered User Senior Member
    yea....at the University of Chicago for example, there have been many years where not one person in the entire graduating class will have a 4 point.
  • etcheverryetcheverry Posts: 159Registered User Junior Member
    It depends on the college..where i'm studying right now i know many people with 4.0 gpas which of course is not a good thing...
  • k1mank1man Posts: 198Registered User Junior Member
    based on my experience, highschool is harder

ive had tyrants
  • Russell7Russell7 Posts: 1,414- Senior Member
    I've never met a person that had a 4.0 after 1st year.
  • gbesqgbesq Posts: 1,779Registered User Member
    It's rare to find someone in college with a 4.0 gpa, particularly after the first year. Particularly at large state universities, grades are curved in many courses such that the mean grade is a "C" -- unlike high school, the upper portion of the curve will be a lot flatter, much more like a true bell curve. Even for the courses that aren't curved, college courses are considerably more difficult than high school AP courses, so working hard, in and of itself, doesn't guarantee you an "A."
  • NearLNearL Posts: 346Registered User Junior Member
    Nothing in and of itself guarantees an A, but hardwork is a lot more reliable than intelligence and even preparation. Believe it.
  • TheKid4740TheKid4740 Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
    What's the difference between hardwork and preparation?
  • TerpDadTerpDad Posts: 390Registered User Junior Member
    ...Riptide...
  • pmrlcommpmrlcomm Posts: 2,235- Senior Member
    In HS are you talking a 4.0 weighted or U/W? I'd like to know what cream puff HS you go to if it is a given to get a 4.0. If it is that easy don't count on a 4.0 at the college level...
  • trojanchick99trojanchick99 Posts: 554Registered User Member
    It's pretty hard to get a 4.0 in college. I pulled a perfect GPA in 4 years of high school, but never once in college. Don't be too hard on yourself, just do the best you can.
  • b@r!umb@r!um Posts: 9,288Registered User Senior Member
    TheKid4740, I think 'preparation' refers to your previous academic background (e.g. how tough your high school courses were).
  • GregoryMitchellGregoryMitchell Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
    Depends where you go and what your focus is. A 4.0 in psychology at a crappy school like the one I go to is a hell of a lot easier than a 4.0 at a challenging high school.
  • mydixiewreckedmydixiewrecked Posts: 268- Junior Member
    "In most high schools, as long as you work hard, a 4.0 is a practically given. Is this the same for most colleges?"

If you mean most crappy high schools, then I agree.