Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How much money does a average college student earn...

az1698az1698 Posts: 1,900Registered User Senior Member
edited June 2008 in College Life
How much does a average college student earn in one year?
Post edited by az1698 on

Replies to: How much money does a average college student earn...

• b@r!umb@r!um Posts: 9,506Registered User Senior Member
    Work study and a summer job might give you $6,000 a year before taxes.
  • Cards4LifeCards4Life Posts: 1,211Registered User Senior Member
    Working all summer, I made about $2800 from early May to December 31st, 2007. Mind you, I only worked 3 hours/week once school started due to my other job (unpaid, but $500 scholarship), so I could've earned more if I didn't have the other job.

To give you an idea, I've earned about $2000 from Jan 1 thru May 15, working 10-15 hours/week, and haven't received any summer checks yet. I'll pull in almost $600 two paychecks from now, covering the 16th-31st. Depending on the job and if there are limits to how many hours you're allowed to work, you could make a lot of money.
  • AUlostchickAUlostchick Posts: 1,818Registered User Senior Member
    In 2007 I made about $1750. That's working about between 6-10 hours a week, being paid between 5.50 (first job from Jan to end of summer) to 5.85 (first job after minimum wage went up) to 6.50 (latest job from September on).
  • theoneotheoneo Posts: 6,934Registered User Senior Member
    In 2007 I made about $3000 over the summer. I made $9/hour and worked many hours each week, sometimes up to 50.
  • moizuhkmoizuhk Posts: 397Registered User Member
    how much are taxes?
  • apumicapumic Posts: 1,529Registered User Senior Member
    taxes are usually 10-20% for college students' income brackets...

I believe my total income tax filed the last couple of years has been around 6-8k/yr and I've been working full time in the summers and 15-25 hrs/wk during the school year
  • theoneotheoneo Posts: 6,934Registered User Senior Member
    Yeah my taxes were about 15% of my income.

I'm getting some money back soon though. Cha-ching.
  • LumineLumine Posts: 669Registered User Member
    I made about $2,500 this last academic year doing 10 hrs/wk of work study at $7.95 an hour.
  • dilksydilksy Posts: 1,903- Senior Member
    I made about $8600 in the 2007 calendar year (end of sophomore/beginning of junior year). 10+ hours a week tutoring/grading @$10 an hour during the semester, $3800+ for NSF funded REU project in the summer, $2000+4 weeks room and board+Cedar Point trip+minor league baseball game+reimbursement for activities (like movies, laser tag, etc) as a summer camp residence counselor. I'd imagine this is a little bit higher than average because both the REU and the summer camp are pretty sweet deals, and I'm able to do both of them.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 11,558Registered User Senior Member
    My son pulled in about $6500 in 2007 working 10-15 hours a week while in school excluding vacations and full time from Memorial Day to mid-August when he returned to school (I did his taxes). He worked just enough to cover gas, books, laundry and pocket money for the year, supplemented with the $50 his grandma sent him every month LOL and when he does come home he's always broke. We pay his car insurance (PL/PD) and his cell phone which is $10 a month on my family plan.
  • LACtransferhopesLACtransferhopes Posts: 233Registered User Junior Member
    I made about $15,000 last year (waitressing :( ), but I work 30+ hours/week. Lost about 20% in taxes (to answer rumors: YES, AS REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW SERVERS MUST CLAIM EVERY CENT THEY MAKE).
  • EastonEaston Posts: 57Registered User Junior Member
    I made about $2500 a few summers ago working at a public garden (could've been more if I wasn't late so often). I worked full-time and worked my ass off doing labor-intensive tasks, but I was in the best shape of my life and my maturity level grew.

Now I'm making $22/hour working for an editor. It was listed through my school's recruitment website and while I thought I had no chance, I applied anyway. I couldn't believe I got the job, not because it was asking for much, but I just thought it would've been more competitive.

But I think I sort of understand why the pay rate was so high, because the work does tend to fluctuate; more work during the fall and winter, and then it slides down for the spring and summer when I could be working 10 or less hours. During those busy months, I can pull in +$1600! But it's not like I go crazy and have a spending spree; I live off-campus so $800 goes to my rent and utilities while the rest is used for food and books for classes.
  • uyuloveuyulove Posts: 2,181Registered User Senior Member
    I made 2500. I usually make some cash over the summer too (around 1000??) but I didn't work at all last Summer so...
    2100 from workstudy (9 hours a week) and 400 from magazine drawing commission.
    And I don't pay any taxes, just got it all returned although it was like 2 dollars to start out with..

This Summer I'm making 1500 though.. 4 hours a day. I kinda want to work more during June (I'm only making 1500 during july so august and june's open) so i can hopefully make some more money. T.T wrecked my car recently... well at least i dont have to worry about insurance, parking fees, car registration fees...
  • 43212344321234 Posts: 926Registered User Member
    i'd say about 5,000 from working 8-16 hr/week at my workplace for 8 months.
  • IolantheIolanthe Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    I get $2000 in work study during the year. summer jobs can really vary depending on what you do.